Last Day (for a while) September 18

I spent ALL of Friday trying to get my paperwork in order before I leave for the States. Dick has been telling me to work on this each night, but I’ve been avoiding it. I’m gonna hate telling him he’s right!

Maria, a young widow, was scheduled for hernia surgery Saturday morning, so I got to the hospital before 7 am, hoping to see her. She had already been taken back to the prep area when I got there, but I did have a chance to visit with her sister who had come with her. Her sister has a good command of Spanish, and seems pretty confident navigating the system, so I spent the day with the kids.

It was some kind of feast day at Hermano Pedro today, and many of the kids were in church the whole morning. Those left behind were the ones who tend to be most challenging and/or active. . .and since there were fewer kids, we did a lot of work together. These “trouble-makers” are still often my favorites. . .and it was nice to have a quiet time working with them. I couldn’t believe how fast four hours passed. It was even harder to believe that most of them had actually been actively engaged in activities for that whole time.



Dick came with some therapists visiting from Canada, and we decided to take some of the kids to Camperos for lunch. Saturdays are hard days to sign out kids, but with the help of dear Father Bernardo (an eighty-plus year of Franciscan with Alheimers and a huge heart) I was able to get the needed permissions. If only all the priests here were like Father Bernardo. . .

So out we went. I had tried to take Julian, one of the kids who seldom goes out, but he became very agitated with all the people. Once we turned around to head back by ourselves, however, he immediately calmed down. I need to take him out by himself when I get back, and see how he does.

When I got back to the ward with Julian, the nurses asked me if I would give Elmer a “second chance” to go. He had earlier refused to have his clothes changed, and I’d told him he couldn’t go unless he changed. At this he had thrown a fit, and we decided to take another child in his place.

Since Julian had come back, I knew we had room for one more kid. I also knew that I would NEVER hear the end of it from Dick if I showed up with Elmer after telling him he couldn’t go. Elmer was willing to be changed, apologized for screaming, and actually used words to ask for what he wanted. I decided this out-weighed the abuse I knew I’d get from Dick, so said he could come. Elmer did just about everything but kiss my feet—and Dick did not disappoint me with his reaction. He is now telling Elmer that all he has to do to get Pat to do what he wants is say, “I’m sorry.” I still think that I made the right choice, and I would never begin to tell you about the times Dick has “reconsidered” a consequence with one of his boys. He reconsiders, I’m a “push-over.” I guess what’s good for the gander isn’t good for the goose!

This was a pretty relaxed lunch, since the therapists were familiar with kids with physical challenges, and knew how to deal with them. In fact, I got some great “on the fly” training from a couple of them, and now have a few new skills to add to my arsenal.

I couldn’t believe when I looked at my watch and saw it was almost four o’clock. I’d agreed to go to the market in San Felipe with Mari, to buy some “dulces tipicas” (Guatemalan sweets) to bring with me to the States. So, I reluctantly said good-bye to the kids, telling them that I’d be gone for “muchos dias” (many days) but that I would be back. Henry, especially, didn’t like the idea, saying (in English) “Me no want you go!” Needless to say, I was a little tearful as I made my way out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment