Community is where community happens. . .

This past week, I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting on the blessing of having strong, Christ-following friends both in the United States and in Guatemala.

I guess I’d grown accustomed to being surrounding by “Jesus people" in the US, having worked at a large church.  I value these friendships, miss these folks, and rely on their encouragement and support.

One of the most difficult things about moving to Guatemala was my “fear” that I would not have the strong community I’d enjoyed in Omaha.  I “feared” loneliness and isolation.  And, once again, I under-estimated God.

IMG_0043

I knew the Hernandez family, with whom I’ve lived and still eat meals, valued me.  I’m only beginning to understand the depth of their care for me.  This morning, as I prepared to leave for two weeks in the States, Leo tearfully came to me, saying how much he would miss me, and asking that I promise I would come back.  Both Manuel and Pablo, the sons of the family, spent an extra amount of time with me the past few days, just visiting.  And finally, today at the airport, I left a sobbing Mari standing at the curb as I entered the building.  This has taken me aback a bit, as I consider what it would be like not to have these people in my life.  They truly have become family to me. Not replacing my biological family (I’m on a plane headed to Omaha as a write this, and each mile I get more excited about seeing my kids and especially the two grandsons) but expanding it.  How could I know God would not be asking me to “give up” family connections, but actually increasing them.  How I underestimated God. . .

Dick  Then, there is the community of
  missionaries with whom I work.  If you
  read my blog at all, you’re familiar with
  Dick Rutgers, whose friendship,
  companionship and wisdom I treasure (I’ll
  leave out the comments about his driving,
  but I do manage to get to go a lot of
  places with him I would probably not go on my own.)  I’ve learned so much from him, and am grateful for the way he’s allowed me to partner with him in ministry, especially sharing “his” (neighborhood) kids with me.  (Dick, if you’re reading this, I’m only being this frank because I figure that by the time I return in two weeks, you’ll forget what I’ve written!) Dick also gives me ample opportunity to practice my sarcasm.

IMG_0448Last January, Daryl and Wanda Fulp moved down to Guatemala with 9 of their ten kids.  Their ministry is to children with special needs (having three of their own), and their hope is to eventually begin receiving unwanted and uncared for Guatemalan children into their home.  (I could say they want to start a children’s home, but I don’t think that would do justice to the kind of care they will offer the kids who come to them.)  While their ministry is definitely a family ministry, their family is open to all who come to know them, and I value their friendship and their welcome.  I’m slowly getting to know their children, and I’m awestruck at the kids they’ve raised.  (Wanda must be doing something right!)

Judy's%20best%20trimmed  I’ve found a close friend and “traveling
  buddy” in Judy Kerschner, who began
  and runs New Life School in Santa
  Maria de Jesus, just a short drive up
  the Agua volcano from Antigua.  Judy
  is another “mature” single woman
  who God has called to Guatemala, and
  our friendship developed quickly, as if
  we’ve always known each other.  We
  often talk about how so many of the
  missionaries are either married or
  significantly younger than we are, and
  how happy we are to have found each other. I’m especially honored that Judy has invited me to work with the children in her school.

IMG_0112

Some of the Hope Haven workers, taking a break to play
basketball with one of the girls who came to receive a chair.

I’ve also been welcomed into a partnership with Hope Haven International, who has a wheelchair factory in Antigua.  Mark Richards, their director, has invited me to come to their distributions and provide communication systems, wherever possible, for the children receiving chairs.  The guys in the shop have welcomed me with open arms, and I’m becoming pretty good friends with some of them, though they have to wade through my “gringa Spanish.”

DSC09710Finally, there are Chris and Donna Mooney, who run Bethel ministries, and their family.  While I don’t see these folks much, they have been a big part of my move to Guatemala, having encouraged me greatly, and taught me much along the way.  I have enjoyed it on those occasions when I’ve been able to join one of their teams for a few days, and depend on their prayer support, as they know they have mine.

As I reflect on all these people who have become so important to my life, I realize I could not have put together this kind of network of friendships if I’d tried.  And, as I watch ministries in other places (yes, even some in Guatemala) compete with each other as if our Father’s storehouses are not big enough to provide for all, I am grateful for the way I am able to work along side so many established ministries that God is using to accomplish His purposes. 

God knew what I would need to live and work and thrive down here, and once again has provide more than I could “ask or imagine.”  Thank you, Father, for these friends, and thank you, friends, for being part of the Father’s plan for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment