Santiago Atitlan, Sept. 2, 2011

IMG_1763

Before heading back to Antigua, we needed to go to ADISA, a special school in Santiago which was started by a Guatemalan lady named Argentina.  One of her students needed the speed on his wheelchair adjusted, and this would give me a chance to finally meet this incredible woman who I had heard so much about. 

I was not disappointed when she came to our hotel to meet us to take us to the school.  She has more energy than I have ever even thought of having, and is one of the most knowledgeable people I have met in Guatemala regarding the laws affecting the education of persons with disabilities in this country.  We became fast friends, and before I knew it, she was not only inviting me to spend time at her school, but stay in her home when I do.  Unfortunately, since I’m heading to the States later this month, I probably won’t be able to do this until at least January.  School dismisses for their “summer” vacation in mid-October and doesn’t resume until after the Christmas holidays.  This will give me something to look forward to in the New Year, however.

Our first stop was at the home of a young man Dick had given a power chair to in the past.  He had received a new one, and his father wanted Dick to pick up his old chair, in case someone else could use it.  While this may not seem like much to us, you need to realize that this chair could have been sold and the money pocketed by this family who surely could use the money.  They care more, though, about another child receiving the gift of mobility than the do about the cash the could earn from a sale.  Once again I am humbled by the generosity of the Guatemalan families we serve.

IMG_1747

We were soon on our way to  the school to meet Alex. While Dick adjusted Alex’s chair, one of the teachers gave me a tour of the school facility, as well as told me the story illustrated on the walls of the school building.  School was not in session this day, but if the facility reflects the quality of their program, I can’t wait to see it in action.

IMG_1759

Since we had to get back home before dark, we were not able to stay and visit too long.  I look forward to the day I will get to come back to spend some time with the teachers in the school, and support the excellent work they are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment