Stepping Into the Darkness to See the Light




The lights went out just as I was going to step into the shower.  Here, where the water is heated by an electric shower head,  that means no hot water, as well as total darkness in my windowless bathroom.  So I went to heat up my left-over coffee. . .oops, no microwave.  So I’ll iron my slacks to wear to church—no that won’t work. Well, I’ll check up on my email and facebook. . .ugh! no modem!  And I sit here realizing just how good I have it, even though I call myself a missionary.

While I was in the States the past few weeks, I was annoyed and pained by how those living in the US take for granted, as entitlements, things which the “majority world” lives without.  I also saw how easily I “reacculturate” (is that a word?) to living in the affluence of North America.  I’m not talking about backyard swimming pools or country club memberships, but ordinary things.  Electricity, clean water (every time I went to take a drink directly from the water faucet, I paused to think—and I know, more and more Americans are drinking only bottled water, but to be able to drink tap water without bacteria and parasites was a pleasure), water heaters, level sidewalks, convenience foods, possessions beyond what we would ever really need.  Even being able to “flush” the toilet paper rather than throw it in the trash.  Oh, what Americans take for granted.  What I started to take for granted in the short time I was in the States. . .

Today I realize just how well I live here, when people, even those down the street, live without running water and/or electricity. I have a roof that doesn’t leak, three rooms plus and indoor bathroom for only one person, a bed with an inner-spring mattress, a refrigerator, more clothes than I can wear in a month, and never have I gone to bed hungry, or wondering where my next meal would come from.   How I take for granted what God has blessed me with, even in a “Third World country.”  And I stand convicted. . .

There’s a question circulating on facebook that gives me reason to pause now and then. . .

If the only things you had today were the things you thanked God for yesterday, what would you still have?

I’m afraid, for me, that would not be very much. . .

Father, forgive my ungrateful heart.  Forgive my sense of entitlement.  Open my eyes to the gifts around me in each moment of every day. . .and may I thank you for them as I receive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment