Why I'm still at New Life

As our ministry continues to grow beyond our community living home, I am sometimes asked why I continue to volunteer at and support the teachers at New Life School.

Damaris, who graduated Oct. 31, would come
in to hug me everyday during recess for the last week
of school.  She wanted to make sure I wouldn't
forget her--as if I could!
First and foremost, I love them and I love the students.  Can you imagine walking into "work" every day and being greeted by a chorus of "Hola, Seno Paty!" and receiving a mountain full of hugs?  This is my experience every time I walk into the school.

New Life Staff 2018
I am also drawn by the desire of the staff to provide the best possible educational experience to children who would be otherwise neglected, if not abused, in their community.  I believe our students fall into the group of the "least of these" who Jesus spoke of.  How can I not respond to the Jesus I meet daily in my brothers and sisters?

All our students gathering around to pray for Seno Nancy 
who is leaving us this year to work in ministry with her husband.

In this community, I experience the People of God in a way I experience it no where else.  Every teacher desires nothing more than for her students to come to know and love God.  Our students and their families know that is the only reason we are here.  Every interaction is covered in prayer and shot through with Scripture and Biblical principles, especially at those times discipline is needed by a child.  We seek not to punish them into compliance, but change their hearts by changing their thinking to enable them to live out gospel principles in their daily lives.


Seno Nancy reminding our students that all of us
who follow Christ will be reunited in heaven one day.
And there is no better feeling than the satisfaction of watching these children grown into young men and women who will serve God and their community to whatever extent they are able.  I believe this is what it means to "make disciples of all nations" and I'm privileged to be part of this!

Kindergarten and Sixth Grade Graduates
2018

Meet some of our graduates

Griselda, 18
We hope she will transition to
Reason to Hope's adult transition program
Damaris, who wants nothing more than
to become a veterinarian






















Yovany, one of our deaf students,
"singing" a praise song in sign language
Yamelin, our blind student, will continue to
work with Frank, our blind teacher, to improve
her daily living skills.





















Christian, a student with autism, will pursue an
adjusted curriculum designed to meet his special needs.
Eme, who has spina bifida, will move on to a
regular first grade program at New Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment