I could never do that. . .

 This is such a common phrase spoken by many Christians.  At times it is said in judgment of a person who has fallen short in some way--usually one of the "big" sins like adultry, child abuse, abortion.  It may be smaller sins though, like smoking or drinking, or stealing a pack of gum.  Whatever it is, when we say this we are elevating ourselves above the person being judged.

Other times it is said in admiration, "I could never do what you do.  I'm too ________________." Fill in the blank: weak, tender-hearted, attached to my children, etc.  This is the one I hear too often directed toward me and I grieve for the person each time the say it.

To me, it reflects a lack of understanding of God's will in our lives.  What the person, hopefully, really means to say is, "I don't want God to ask me to what you do." That I'm okay with.  There are many things I don't want God to ask me to do, and I've told him so.    Very often the things God asks of me are these very things I dread.

 And in surrendering to these things, like being divorce, or leaving behind grandchild to grow up in my absence.  In holding my desires and dreads with open hands, I have experienced the presence of God in ways I never would have imagine. What seems like loss, has become gain.  God is faithful when we are obedient.

The next time you are tempted to say, "I could never. . ." stop and ask yourself what is really behind this statement.  Henri Nouwen has wisely said, "We are not judged by how we compare to others, but how we conform to the will of God."

Don't use this attitude to put down or elevate anyone.  We are all given different callings, When we obey we are enabled, equipped and empowered to  carry out the callings with peace and joy.  Don't limit yourself, or your God, and wait and see what happens.  You might not believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment