I Could Never Do THAT!

Years ago I was in a Bible study, listening to Kaye Arthur on tape, relating how God had told her to sell everything, and go to seminary. I remember very clearly thinking at the time, I could NEVER do that!

This came to me when I was praying this morning. How often I’ve said “I could never. . .” Those were usually things I’d romanticized, thought God only called people “holier” than I to do. Not ordinary people like me.

And I realize I was right. I couldn’t do those things then. God hadn’t asked me to, so He’d not equipped me to. It's not about being particularly holy, it's got a lot more to do with being open and receiving. And I realize now, as many folks talk to me about how they couldn’t do what I’m doing, that I’m not doing anything remarkable. I’m only doing the next thing God is asking me to do, and it really seems very clear and simple. And any of you could do the same thing, IF God asked you to. The question is, what is God asking of each of us, right here, right now.

More and more I realize that, while my desire is to be in Guatemala, God’s not done with what He has for me here yet. Each morning I need to make a conscious choice to “Be present” where I am, here in Omaha, at Westside Church, walking with His people here and now. (Yes, Greg, I did read the book!)

So when I think, “I can’t wait to get to Guatemala,” I have to remind myself, that, yes, I can. I’m still here. This is not a holding pattern until I get to do ministry. This is my ministry. And each day He blesses me by the people who come to me, looking to find Him. And I get to help them find God in their day to day lives, right here, right now.

I’m just beginning to learn to live fully present in the current moment. When I don’t, I’m ignoring what God is offering me today, wishing for what He has for me in the future. If I don’t learn to live in the present right now, when I get to the future I won’t know how to appreciate what He has for me then (since I’ll still be wishing for what is yet to come). Don’t know if this makes sense to anyone else, but I think it’s what I needed to remind myself of today.

When Jesus said, “I have come that you might have LIFE and have it to the FULL” I don’t think He was talking about the future. I think He offers us a full life each day. The question is, are we willing to accept what He is offering us?

Lord, Jesus. Forgive me for trying to live in the future, and missing out on what you offer me in the present. Your Word says that You make me lie in green pastures, beside still waters (present tense). You tell me you are with me all days, not just the days that seem especially exciting, challenging or holy. Help me to find You in the “sacrament of the present moment” so I’ll be ready for what you invite me to in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment