Traveling to Huehuetenango, July 12, 2011

IMG_0782

After seeing off Katheryn when her shuttle left for the airport, Dick and I set out for Huehue.  When I returned from the States in April, I brought back a prosthetic leg for a Rudy, a little boy who lives near Huehue.  More than two years ago I brought down Rudy’s first artificial leg, which he’s now outgrown, and I’m looking forward to seeing him again.

The trip down was absolutely beautiful.  Dick took a route I’ve never traveled before, and I think we passed through some of the most beautiful parts of Guatemala on our way up here.  I also saw some of the largest landslides I’ve seen here, but thankfully, all the roads had at least one lane open.  More than once, we’d come around a blind curve to suddenly find one lane of the road unexpectedly blocked, and a car coming towards us in the other lane. . .I have to admit, though, I was glad Dick was the one doing the driving.

IMG_0786

When we arrived in Huehue, we stopped at the shopping mall to buy shoes to take with us to Rudy.  Dick talked me into taking the prosthetic leg with us into Payless to find a shoe to fit it.  It was very interesting walking through a mall in Guatemala carrying a child’s leg. (There are rumors in this part of the country about North Americans kidnapping kids for body parts—and here I was walking around carrying a “leg.”  You gotta laugh.) The interesting thing was, no one seemed to pay any attention to what I was carrying!

The man working at Payless was very nice and understood our dilemma trying to figure out if the shoes we were buying would fit Rudy’s real foot.  He told us we could buy a couple of pairs and return the ones that didn’t work.  It was really funny watching Dick try on the shoe on the foot we had with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment