Hanging out with Maryanna

DSC02525

A few weeks back, we went to Retahuleu with Mario and his daughter Maryanna.  Mario adopted Maryanna when she was tiny and is raising her as a single parent.  While we were traveling, we talked about Maryanna needing a woman’s influence in her life, and we decided she could spend some weekends with me doing “girl stuff.” 

While we have not gotten together as often as I have hoped (I really don’t know where the time goes), she is very special to me and I hope to get to spend more time with her. 

This weekend we did shopping in the market (Maryanna knows her way around there better than I do!  She insisted on carrying the food back to the car for both Mari and me) and had dinner at Mari’s.  Mari is, as the Guatemalans say, “enchanted” at having a little girl around, and instantly fell in love with Maryanna.  Friday we had a girls’ only movie night at my house, and invited some of the young women students staying at Mari’s to join us. 

DSC02488

Saturday we headed out to visit the Vincente-Hernandez family in Cerro Colorado.  Dick and I had been promising the girls in this family that we would take them out for a treat, and we thought it would be great fun to have Maryanna join us for a trip into Santa Lucia to Camperos.  We were right.  The girls ran and laughed and squealed as if they had been best friends all their lives. (I was a little worried the management would ask us to leave, but we got out of there before anyone complained!)

IMG_6568

Sunday Maryanna was a big help setting up the classrooms at church for Sunday School  She’s such a hard worker, I wonder how often she has time to just be a kid.  Hopefully we will have more times where she can do just that.

DSC02490

Maryanna getting a “driving lesson” from Dick.
Shh!  Don’t tell her dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment