Children’s Church in Full Swing

DSC03201

Sunday, April 15, marked a mile stone in the life of Iglesia del Camino, my church in Guatemala.  We began having two services each Sunday morning, but more importantly, we expanded our children’s ministry to include not only Sunday School but Children’s Church.

While we average less than 50 kids a Sunday, this was not as small a processes at it might seem.  We changed our curriculum so that what is taught in both Sunday School and Church correlates.  This means I have been translating pages and pages of lessons from Spanish into English.  We are a fully bilingual church, and teach and worship in both languages.  I often wondered, as I sat hours at the computer, if this was what God brought me to Guatemala to do. . .

DSC03269

And that question was answered the in our first worship service for children.  The church itself invested heavily in beginning Children’s Church.  Many volunteers showed up that first Sunday, and since, to help us get ready for the children.  The church bought a flat screen TV so we can easily project images, song lyrics, whatever we need to display for the kids.  This was not a small investment for a church that runs on a shoe-string. 

Our senior pastor (an audio-visual and technology geek) has been heavily involved not only in the purchasing, but the construction of an adequate sound system and storage for our use in Children’s church.  He’s been helping with set up and take down each Sunday as we seek volunteers to fill these roles.  His commitment to discipling kids goes far beyond lip-service, and this is a blessing to those of us who work in Children’s Ministry.  His servant leadership is an example for all of us who serve at the church.

DSC03257Then there were the kids. . .they came early, stayed late, and had FUN at church.  They were engaged and attentive throughout.  They felt special, important, to us as well as to God.  And, after all, that’s what this is about.  Setting the stage for them to experience first-hand how much God loves and cares for them, particularly 
                                               through sending His Son.

My role is not center-stage. I greet the kids and sign them in and out.  I work on developing the lessons and activities.  I support the teachers where I can.  I have to admit it’s not as much fun as what I’ve done in the past.

I also find myself in a position, though, were I know each child by name, and they know me, even seeking me out for a hug.  I hope I reflect the Father’s love for them as much as they reflect His love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment