The Curse of Too Much. . .


Please know I write this not out of condemnation, but out of conviction at my own limited worldview, and my own complacency and sense of entitlement as an American.  Until I moved to Guatemala, I also thought I never had enough. Some days I still do. God reminds me daily of how blessed I am, and how I merit none of it.


It is the morning of September 11, 2013.  And my heart is heavy for the US today.  Trouble is brewing in Syria, we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Yet I constantly see debate on the US new programs about whether we "should be" at war.  Wake up, America.  We are at war, whether we fight back or not.  We are at war for the survival not only of our country but of our souls. It is not a war to be fought by our military.  Each American who wants to preserve their freedom must take up the battle.

If you think I am writing about being anti-Islamic, you're wrong.  Paul tells us in Ephesians that "our struggle is not against flesh and blood."  He goes on to explain that the enemy is a spiritual enemy, THE enemy and those who follow him, knowingly or unwittingly or carelessly.  And I don't disagree a bit.

But, I am afraid that many of us who say we are Christians are also being influenced by this enemy of our souls.  American Christianity, from my perspective as an ex-patriot (that's the secular term for life-time missionaries) is suffering from the same malady as the rest of the country--too much.

I'm not talking about money here.  I'm talking about the way in which EVERYTHING in America seems to be overboard.  (I catch the irony of EVERYTHING being written in capitals!)  We are affluent beyond the comprehension of the rest of the world, yet I continually hear talk of how bad the economy is.  Really?  In comparison to what?  In comparison to where?  

I see families in which each driver has his or her own car--yet they are constantly complaining about the price of gas.  (It is interesting to me that studies are showing that when gas prices go up, people do NOT drive less.)  I see families who say they can't make it on what they earn, yet continue to spend on items such as the latest HD television systems.  I hear how people cannot afford to take a missions trip, yet read on Facebook about their fantastic family vacations.  And the hardest of all, I see luxurious churches with coffee shops which cannot afford to help their brothers who are meeting under tents (if that) and sitting in the mud to come to worship the Lord.


Please hear me.  I am NOT opposed to cars, TV's or vacations or nice churches and houses.  I struggle with the attitude of people who are able to do these things and yet feel, if not verbalize, that they don't have enough.  I am opposed to those who feel entitled to these good things and fail to thank the God who provides these things.  (Even if you work for it, who gives you the strength, knowledge and ability to work?)  I struggle with those who fail to recognize their responsibility to share these gifts with those who literally have nothing.

There is a sense of entitlement that Americans deserve the good life, and more of it.  Where does that come from?  Seems to me we are still living in the a revised sense of Manifest Destiny--somehow believing that God has specifically chosen the United States as his prize to lavishly bless.  I don't see how that holds up.  Where is the Biblical support for this?


Click on image to enlarge

Why does the US merit more blessings than other countries?  Because they are more moral?  Surely not.  Because the citizens work harder than those in other countries?  Only those who have not traveled to majority world countries could possibly believe that.  Because they are God's chosen people?  Where in the Bible does it indicate that?

Because we were a Christian country in the past?  By whose criteria?  I wonder if God ever considered us a Christian country.  Sure, we had prayer in schools, mangers in the city square, the Ten Commandments on our courthouses.  But is that what makes a country Christian?  

My mind goes to what Jesus said in Matthew 7:21: 
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘LordLord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven

Has American ever really been concerned with doing the will of the Father?  Or have we been concerned with seeking comfort and doing what is right in our own eyes? (See Judges 17:6; 21:5)  We have charted our own course and dared to dignify it with God's name.  (See Manifest Destiny above for an example)



Do I grieve for a nation who is so far from Biblical truth? Of course.  But I don't grieve any more for the US than I do Syria--both nations need to acknowledge the one true God.  But, you see, countries do not merit salvation;  countries cannot come to Christ.  Only individual people can do this.  

And this is the battle--for individuals.  Do we fight this well by condemning and focusing on how bad non-believers are?  Of course they're bad--they're NON-believers.  Do you as a believer really think there would be anything good in you if it weren't for the Holy Spirit's presence in you?  I sure don't believe that about me!  Do you really think posting on Facebook about how terribly immoral "they" are will call them to repentance?  If not, why post it?  To feel superior?  I pray not. 

So how do we fight this?  I believe by loving each individual so well that they are drawn to the God who loves them more than we do.  Remember, it is the kindness of God that leads us to repentance.  (Romans 2:4)

We are at war.  But it is a war for our hearts.  Even as Christ-followers, while our salvation is sure, our sanctification is not.  Peter reminds the early church that we must be watchful, because the enemy seeks to devour us.  (1Peter 5:8)  We can never assume a posture of superiority over those who do not know Christ as we do.  We didn't earn this relationship, we don't deserve it, but we are gifted with it. We must cooperate daily with the Holy Spirit as He transforms us into who He would have us be.

We must fight for the hearts of those who do not yet know Jesus and all he has to offer.  Do those who don't know Jesus see anything in us, in our lives and in our hearts, that would make them want to know him?

How does all this tie in with having "too much?"  Well, I think we've had too much comfort and freedom in our ability to follow Jesus.  It's been easy to be a Christian in the US.  It still is. Our safety and security has never been threatened.

Even if we have to pay more taxes (as I see is the big concern on Facebook the past few days), so what?  WE HAVE JESUS.  We are not yet persecuted, but I have to wonder how American Christianity will fare when Christ followers are asked to suffer persecution for the sake of righteousness. (Matt. 5:10)  If we fear when we are threatening to lose money because of our faith, how will we stand when we could lose our very lives?  Is this a possibility?  Surely it is.  Jesus told us to take up our cross, not our couch.

I'll end with a Facebook posting from my dear friend, Tara Rye.  She is the one who started me on this meditation with her words, and I encourage you to contemplate them, too.

What if we were interviewed for an entire week for a reality tv show and nothing was hidden. The reality show title: ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN? What would they uncover in a week? Would our faith be evident? What might they observe? 

1 comment:

  1. From my friend Devi:

    Read your post. So many amens, could you hear them? Another "much" is much waste.

    I have a question for you on Tara's question. What would they uncover in a week - nothing hidden - would our faith be evident.

    My question is this. Is it "my" from me? Because when I think of this, I picture this. If nothing was hidden... the world would see that nothing comes from me...not even my faith because He called me and He is the one to grow my faith. It is nothing from me. If I have big faith it is because He placed circumstances and situations before me tailored for me to grow my faith...Not because I determined to have big faith. The only thing I do is rely on Him. My faith is but a mustard seed and what I believe today is because of what He did yesterday and the day before and the day before. So I guess I would answer the question ...the world would see that the faith is absolutely nothing I did or from me but Him. I don't have big faith, I have a Father who holds my hand and takes care of it all. When I am weak. When I am prideful. He takes care of it thru strength or conviction...but it is not who I am but who He makes me to be and I am so thankful that He brings it to completion. I don't know if that makes any sense

    ReplyDelete