What do I do in Omaha?


I have to be honest.  First and foremost I spend time with my family, especially my grandboys Zach (age 9) and Nate (age 5).  I see my kids when I can, but, to be honest, scheduling can be a problem.  Jeremy travels much of the time during the week, the bank Mikayla works for just purchased two other banks and she's working too many hours, and Joel works evenings.  It seems the one time we get together is to watch Zach play soccer.

This trip was a bit different for me.  The friends with whom I stayed were away on a cruise, and I had their whole house, as well as their two cats, all to myself for almost three weeks!  After living with three to four young men all year long, it was strange to be rattling around in this big house all by myself.  It gave me the peace and quiet I needed to complete my taxes though.


Of course, no trip would be complete without a few lunches and dinners with the friends I have left behind.  I especially enjoy and value the friendship of some of the younger women I know, and love spending time with them, even if it's only for a quick lunch.

Much of my time this trip was preparing for our Taste of Guatemala dinner, which was an amazing success.  I was also busy spreading the word about the house we are purchasing to provide a permanent residence for Casa de Esperanza.  Meeting with life groups from my home church is always a distinct pleasure.


I was so excited, too, to be in Omaha to participate in Westside Church's first Missions' Sunday.  Almost twenty ministries supported by the church were represented at tables set up around the worship center.  It was wonderful to see long-time friends and meet new people who were interested in the work we are doing.  I appreciated getting a chance to meet and get to know some of the members of the Missions' Committee at the church.  Their interest and belief in what we are doing has helped us greatly over the years.

I can't begin to sufficiently thank the people who make my time in Omaha so enjoyable.  Whether it's a quick cup of coffee, or a place to stay and a car to drive (thank you, Gail and Bo Higgs for letting me crash at your house), I it would be much harder, both physically, emotionally and financially, to spend time in Omaha.  It makes this time such a pleasure, and I have come back to Guatemala ready to hit the ground running once again!


No comments:

Post a Comment