Settling In

Roberto likes to draw and one of his desires is to learn to read and write.
We will begin working on this and will keep you appraised of his progress.
Roberto has been with us about a week now, and we are settling into a new routine.  I can't say enough good things about how Tony, Juan Carlos, and Rigoberto have risen to meet the extra demands and special care needs he has.  They have all gone over-and-above in pitching in this week.

Monday I went to the Hope Haven factory in Xenaco, and picked up special cushions for both his chair and bed.  These cushions should help prevent further damage to his skin, and hopefully will help the bedsores he has heal more quickly.

We are using a special cream donated by some nurses from the US who specialize in wound care.  It is extremely expensive, but I am told is the best there is for healing his type of wound.  Juan Carlos and I are sharing the responsibility in treating the bedsores daily, and I have to admit that this is one of the hardest things I have ever done.  It's not the sores themselves which bother me, though I have to admit they are pretty disgusting to look at.  (Sorry if that's insensitive, but those of you who have ever seen bedsores know what I'm talking about.)  It's more the emotions involved in treating them.  I hate the fact that I am causing pain to this young man who has already suffered so much, but he's a real trooper and cooperates fully in his treatment.  I am so grateful to Tony who helps me with this, not only for the extra pair of hands he provides, but for his emotional support, too.  Please pray that these sores will heal "supernaturally quickly" and Roberto can start more normal activities.

Roberto is enjoying having enough to eat for the first time in almost four years.  While I am not playing the food police, I am encouraging him not to eat too much at any one time, and to eat more often.  He is gradually becoming less timid in asking for a snack. We also have him on three daily servings of Ensure daily, following the doctor's suggestions.

There are so many foods that are new to him, not just North American style dishes, but even those commonly eaten in Guatemala.  We introduced him to pizza one night, and I have to share the pictures of this experience.


Getting ready for the first bite

Thinking about it. . .

A smile is emerging. . .

Pizza wins a thumbs up!


Friday, Juan Carlos, Tony and I took Roberto to see Dr. Bocaletti, one of the few private doctors I trust here in Antigua.  He did a general physical on him, and gave recommendations for his care and diet.  I was so pleased that he did not immediately order a large number of lab tests or medications.  He likes to treat things more naturally, and also was very sensitive to not wanting to put Roberto though any procedures that were not necessary at this time.

I was so very encouraged after our visit, since most of his recommendations were of things I had already done, even with my limited knowledge and the wonderful coaching I have received from Dick Rutgers and Judy Kerschner.  I am feeling a bit more confident and we move forward making decisions for his future care.  I was so grateful that the doctor did not think that in any way he needed to be hospitalized, and believes we can provide more than adequate care for him in our home.

Roberto leading the way to church Sunday. . .his first real outing

Many of you have emailed or messaged on Facebook to ask what we need to be able to care for Roberto.  General donations for his care through the Josiah Foundation are our biggest need.

We have increased Rigoberto's work hours to provide some extra hands for the extra care Roberto requires.  We have also had to buy Roberto clothing as he came with next to nothing.  We will have to purchase some specialized equipment to care for him, such as colostomy bags and catheters, as well as the supplies and medication we use in treating his bedsores. We are going through a large number of vinyl exam gloves daily as we care for him. He is currently taking three servings of Ensure daily, and this is quite expensive here (as I know it is in the US).  In addition he uses adult diapers at present, and though Daryl Fulp and Hope for Home Ministries is helping us get them at a reduced cost, they are still expensive.

If any of you have connections to medical supply houses that might be able to donate some of these supplies, please email me and I'll give you more details of what our specific needs are.  These significant expenses were not anticipated when we set our 2015 budget.  Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment