Nino de la Independencia

I have to admit, I almost dread the arrival of August at the school.  So many things are happening in preparation for the celebration of Independence Day, September 15 that classes and even school get canceled more than my North American personality finds comfortable.  The kids I work with need so much help, and the time we have is so short.  But, when in Guatemala. . .and I am learning that there are things just as important as academic learning which occur in our school.

Every year students are chosen to represent the school in the local Independence Day parade.  This year was very special for me, as a number of my students participated in the competitions for the various "titles."  My kids are the ones with the most obvious learning problems and disabilities, and it was wonderful to see the time and effort their teachers and classmates invested in helping them prepare for the presentations.


This year, our "Nino de la Independencia" is one of my students, Emerson.  Emerson came to us two years ago, in first grade.  At that time, he had difficulty with all things academic.  He still struggles with his assignments, but was recognized for his determination, hard work and progress.  He is one of the most pleasant kids I have ever taught, and is the first willing to help out when needed.


Some of my other students participated also, trying to earn the various titles awarded each year.  Azucena, who is in fifth grade but working at a first grade level, was her classmates choice to represent her grade.  It was touching to see the other girls in her class working so hard to make her costume and help her get ready.  They also participate as "back up" for the presentation she did in the competition.


This is even more surprising when you realize that Azucena, only a few years ago, got on a bus to Antigua, and was "lost" for a couple of weeks before being found in an orphanage in the city.  This was because she could not even tell the police her name or where she lived.  Now she was able to give a five sentence presentation telling about herself in front of a school full of people!


Anyely, one of my kindergarten students, came to school last January, talking gibberish.    She knew what she wanted to say, but her brain and the muscles of her mouth could not coordinate for the words to come out.  After only eight months of working with our excellent speech therapist, Jennifer Giesemann, she, too, was able to introduce herself and say a few words to the student body.

Damaris (l) and Karen.  Aren't they beautiful!
Damaris, one of our third graders is also working with me.  She has moderate cerebral palsy and walks with a pronounced limp.  She, and another of my students, Karen, performed a dance as part of their class's presentation.  While it was a challenge for her, she did beautifully, and you can see how proud she is of herself.

To see more capable students supporting and rooting for those with more severe difficulties was beautiful to see.  It was evidence that we are succeeding in our mission: to love God and love our neighbor, and for our students to achieve whatever of excellence is possible for them.

I love our school, our kids, and our exceptional staff!s

Side note:  Our wonderful speech therapist, Jennifer, is returning to the States to pursue further training when the school year ends this October.  She will be sorely missed.  Jennifer has been a good friend and faithful colleague, and my teaching will not be as good because she will not be here to bounce ideas around with me.  (Watch out, Jenn, Skype still works!)  While I will miss her , I pray God's best for her, and look forward to her return visits. (You will visit us, won't you?)

If anyone knows a Spanish speaking speech therapist who would like to donate their time for one or more semesters, please let me know.  I'd love to visit with them. While we have Guatemalan trained speech therapists, their training and focus is much more limited than what our students require.  Praying God provides this need for our students.



No comments:

Post a Comment