April 6--Hermano Pedro and Back to the Coast

After their full night's sleep, Brianna, Cameron and Laura were up early this morning and were pleasantly surprised by Mari's delicious pancakes for breakfast. They were pretty hungry after missing supper last night! We left about 8:30 to pick up Momma at Casa de Fe, and stopped at one of my favorite cafes to get her some breakfast.

Julio's mom once again reminded me of how difficult life is for many women in Guatemala. She is a very quiet, timid lady, who is so unassuming that I had to go back to the door of the cafĂ© to bring her in, as she wasn’t sure she was supposed to be coming in with the rest of us. Just the experience of ordering was overwhelming to this lady, and I quickly learned to anticipate what she might like to eat, and offer her two or three meals to choose from. This morning, as the kids were playing with the baby while Momma ate her pancakes, I finally saw her smile for the first time. Brianna had put her sunglasses on little Maria, and Momma actually laughed. It is so evident the joy in which she takes in her children, and I grieve at how little opportunity she has to really enjoy them.

I realized what an honor it was just to bring a little happiness into this dear woman's life. To care for her, who seldom has time or energy to care for herself while caring for her family. I could see her gradually relax and warm up to us as she ate and the "children" played. I feel I've made a new friend in this woman, whose life is so different than mine, but who shares a mother's heart with me. I am so often awestruck at how accepting the Guatemalan women, even in the villages, are of me as they welcome me into their homes, families and lives. They are truly gracious and loving, and, though I may be going to them with the intention of ministering to them, I always leave more blessed that they are by their quiet examples of strength and love for their families.

Mom went up to see Julio and we played with the kids at Hermano Pedro. We'd brought a variety of balls today, and I was pleased to see that we had some way almost all of the children could participate if we went to them individually. For the first time today I saw Heidi make a deliberate and purposeful movement as she played with a punch ball. Nothing could be as cute, however, as Ervin leading Brianna around by a ball on an elastic band which was attached to her wrist. He was crawling as she walked behind him, and it was clear who was in charge (and it wasn't Brianna!).

Since Dick still wasn't feeling well, he asked if I could ride with him as he took Momma home. The group wanted to stay at Hermano Pedro, rather than making another 4-5 hour hot trip to the coast, and I hesitantly agreed to go without them. I knew Hermano Pedro was an extremely safe place to leave them, and that they were all responsible young adults, but I felt a little bit like a mother abandoning her babes as we walked out the door. (When I arrived home after them, they told me they'd only gotten a "little" lost riding the "chicken bus" home.  April Fool! a few days late. Really, they took a tuk-tuk.)

We made the trip down in what seemed like no time at all. This drive gave Dick and me some time to catch up with each other, as the last few months have been so busy for both of us that we’ve seldom talked or even emailed. We were soon dropping off Mom, and, because I was the "woman" had the privilege of receiving her hugs and kisses of gratitude. It make any discomfort or inconvenience of the trip well worth it.

Before leaving town, Dick and I stopped for some pop at the corner "store." We had to drink it there, as it was in returnable bottles, and as we sat Dick shared some of his concerns about his "kids." We talked especially about some of the girls, discussing ways I may be able to support them when I move down. Once again, I was struck by how deeply Dick cares for these kids—how they truly are HIS kids in every sense of the word. And, once again, I thanked God for the nurturing heart of this bachelor who instinctively knows more about parenting than many of the parents with whom I work. The kids are fortunate to have him, and he’s just as fortunate that they are in his life. As he talks about them growing up with a degree of sadness in his voice, it sounds like someone preparing for “empty nest syndrome.’ I know, however, that Dick’s home will never be empty as long as there is a kid anywhere in the area who needs some love and attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment