Ervin called me by name!

I know I’ve written before about good if felt to be recognized by some of the more “able” kids at Hermano Pedro. Today, I feel like I’ve experienced one of those “kisses from God” that are just too clear to miss.

Ervin, you see, is pretty much non-verbal, though through gestures he can definitely make his wants known to anyone who will listen. He is considered quite a challenge by the staff at the orphanage, having previously earned himself the nickname of “Monster.” Of course, he’s one of my favorites, because he has spunk. Lately, though, my friend Dick has said Ervin’s medications keep him a little bit “doped up.” When I walked into the ward, I saw he was right.

Many of the kids were outside to watch the procession that was to go by in front of the orphanage. Ervin, of course, was left inside with the “difficult” kids. So, we went in to be with the kids who were not allowed outside. I introduced Brianna, Laura and Cameron to each of the kids I knew, and asked them to find one child to pour love into today. It seemed each was drawn to one who usually doesn’t get much attention.

I am so incredibly proud of these young people. They dove into playing with the kids without any hesitation. They seemed to intuitively know what each child wanted and needed, and responded immediately. And Samuel, Ervin, Delmi and Estuardo blossomed with just a little bit of one to one attention.



At one point, I thought I heard Ervin call my name. I looked at Brianna who was playing with him, and she confirmed he really had said, “Pat.” He’s called me “momma” in the past, but never my name. I felt so special, almost honored, to be recognized. And I realized why each child blossomed. If I, who have skills, friends, family, freedom feel my heart race at Ervin acknowledgement of me, how much more important is it for each of these precious children to know they are seen, valued, and loved. It takes so little to do this, but brings so much in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment