Alex Smiled, November 24


After spending time working with many of the kids today, I went to stand by Alex's crib.  This dear little one has spent most of his life struggling just to maintain enough weight to keep him alive.  And, the last few weeks it seems that he has been losing the battle.  Each day when I leave, I say good-bye to him, not sure he will still be here when I return the next day.

It has been days since he has responded or shown any awareness that we were with him.  Today, as I stood aching for him, I began to talk with him about how much Jesus loved him, and how precious he was to Him.  I could hardly believe my eyes as he broke into the biggest smile I have seen from him in a long time.  As I continued to talk with him about Jesus and how He is always with him, he continued to respond, more and more readily.  He even began responding when I would say his name.  This may not seem like much, but it was more than enough to break me into tears as I stood by his bed and prayed over him. 

Is he getting better?  I don't know.  I do know Dick and I have been expecting him to go to the Father for a few weeks now, and he's hanging in there.  It's hard to know how to pray in these situations.  All I can say as I stand by him is, "Come, Lord Jesus."  I believe He came to us today.  I believe Alex felt His presence as much as I did.  And I pray Alex was blessed by this holy ground experience as much as I was.

You can't see them in this picture, but
Jessica now has dimples!
Since I hadn't seen Jessica in a couple of days, I decided to go up to malnutrition for a few minutes.  A few minutes turned into about 90, but it was a sweet time up there as well.  Jessica is so much stronger, and is more and more able to control her head.  It makes my heart leap when I walk over to her bed and she begins to bounce up and down with excitement.  I continue to be amazed by this marvelous little girl.

I also spent some time holding one of our newborns.  She is colicy and cries and cries.  I know the nurses don't want the babies to expect to be held all the time, but I also know if this little one was at home, she would probably spend a good part of her day wrapped to her mother's back.  So today we rocked and rocked and she finally fell asleep.  After four kids, and two grandkids, there is nothing that gives me more pleasure than rocking a little one to sleep!

There are a couple of little ones up in malnutrition who especially need your prayers.  One little girl who appears to be about 2 came in recently and we have yet to see her smile.  Today, as I walked by her crib, she reached out to me and cried.  I couldn't help but rock her for a while, as she clung tightly to two stuffed animals.

Jordan is also new to the ward.  I don't know how old he is, but he is so fragile and tiny.  He desperately needs to gain some weight and strength. Please pray for him and all our little ones and their families.  I often think of how hard it is for these parents to leave their children with strangers, so far from their homes.  I can't help but admire their courage!

No comments:

Post a Comment