Quick Trip to the States (Nov. 4-17)


Believe it or not, this beautiful sunset was in Chicago!
After much consternation, I decided I would attend my 40th high school reunion in Chicago, on Nov. 6.  It worked out great that I could also stop in Omaha and have a couple of doctors appointments that I was not able to make when I was in town in September.  So, once again, I was packing my bags and heading to the airport.

The trip to the States was unusually pleasant, as I had a long lay-over in Dallas, and was able to spend a wonderful afternoon with my friend Michelle who I had worked with at the church.  She and her husband Curt moved there this year, and luckily, they live only a short distance from the airport.  She was kind enough to pick me up, take me to their house, feed me lunch, and give me one of the largest cups of latte I've ever had.  It was great catching up, and Curt even managed to slip away from work for a few minutes to come and say hello.  Michelle and Curt help me realize the truth of the line from an old song by Michael W. Smith: "A friend's a friend forever if the Lord's the Lord of him. . ."  Thank you, Lord, for these good friends.

I was able to stay with my brother in Chicago for the reunion, and Jim was kind enough to chauffeur me wherever I wanted to go.  I had planned on renting a car, but when I was trying to reserve it on-line, realized I couldn't, as my driver's license had been stolen when Dick, the boys and I had been robbed.  It was good to be able to visit with him, though, not only at home, but in the car as well.  He even drove me out to see my sister Cathy and her granddaughter Ailayna.  A quick but welcome family time.





Forty "girls" from our class (Mother Theodore Guerin, and all girls school back then!) were there.  And while we all were more "mature" looking, inside we were still the same as we had been forty years earlier.  It was fun to reconnect, especially with three of the girls I'd gone to elementary as well as high school with. 

Heading to Omaha, I again stayed with my good friend, Gail. Each time I travel to Omaha, she opens her home to me, and I have to admit it's more than comfortable.  We didn't have as much time to visit as in the past (she returned froma trip to Tunisia only the night before I arrived) but what time we had together was blessed.  And, the street where she lives still had some trees that were changing color, so I got to experience a bit of "fall" in the bargain.



Zach, age 4

Nathan, 1yr.


Of course, one of my first stops is always to see Zach and Nate, and this time was no different.  I had dinner with them the first night in town, and watched a lot of Jurassic Park and Ice Age during the week I was there.  One night when I was babysitting the boys so Jeremy and Lindy could do some Christmas shopping, Zach called fromt he dining room, "Grandma, come quick.  You've got to see this!"  It had started snowing and there was a least an inch and a half of snow on the picnic table.  I just responded, "Oh, no, snow!"  (I'd wanted to experience fall in Nebraska, but definitely not winter!)  He looks at me, as only a four year old can and replied, "Isn't it beautiful!"  And it was.  I'm grateful to once again be able to see things through the eyes of a child with my grandsons.

Each time I am with the boys, I am aware of how much I am missing by living far away.  I also spend much time thinking about how much they have and how well they are loved.  They have a comfortable house, their own rooms, more toys than any child needs, plenty of food and warm clothes, and wonderful parents who provide all the attention and love they need.  And then I remember my kids in the orphanage, who are cared for physically quite well, but are starving to be known and loved as individuals.  And I know why I am heading back.

I was able to have an open house thanks to the hospitality of Westside Church and got to reconnect with many friends and share what God is doing down here.  The only snag was that the slide presentation I'd put together wouldn't play!  This link is to the pictures I promised to post for those who were interested.

Though I thoroughly enjoyed my time with friends and family, this trip made me realize more than ever, that home is now in Guatemala.  And it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment