Time with Herlindo

I’ve been involved, along with Dick, in trying to find out exactly what is going on with Herlindo’s (Rony’s brother) health.  I’m borrowing Dick’s and Daryl’s journals about our experiences during the time he spent with us in Antigua/Chimaltenango. . .

Dick writes:

A good part of my time has been spent running back and fourth to and from the home of Ronny's family. Ronny who had muscular dystrophy passed away about 2 months ago and although his family seems to be going on with their lives Ronny's death has still left some scars. Mom and dad are aware that all 3 of Ronny's younger brothers have the possibility of having muscular dystrophy as well so they are rightfully worried.

clip_image001

Herlindo in my (Pat’s) yard playing with one of the pups

Arlindo who is 8 years old is there biggest concern because that is exactly how old Ronny was when he was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy. Although Arlindo has lost some of his appetite and often falls asleep in school, his muscle tone is good and Pat and I are pretty much convinced that he does not have muscular dystrophy. We feel that he is going through a bit of depression over loosing his brother and hearing Mom and dad continually talk about the fact that they think that he has muscular dystrophy is making things much worse.

A few days ago I asked if it would be OK if Arlindo came to my house and spent a few days. I wanted to observe first hand how he was doing and I wanted to get him in to see a doctor and have a good checkup.

During the 5 days that Arlindo has been with me I have not seen any of the things that mom and dad had told us. Arlindo has been sleeping well at night, his apatite has been great (even though he has been eating my cooking) and he has had lots of energy. I think that he my be a bit anemic though so I have started him
on some good vitamins.

clip_image002

Mom with her other 2 sons

Although both Pat and I are convinced that he does not have muscular dystrophy we still felt that it would be a good idea to have him go in to Hermano Pedro for a physical examination. Although the results of the blood tests and a few other tests have not yet come back the doctor is convinced that Arlindo does not have muscular dystrophy. We are praying that his parents will now be convinced as well and not keep telling their son that they fear that he has a disease that would likely take his life within a few years.

IMG_0432

Although some of the tests were not the most pleasant for Arlindo or myself (I don't really enjoy taking stool samples) he had a great time while he was here and he and my kids had a great time playing together. When we brought him back to his house yesterday it was not easy for any of us to say goodbye. We did make a promise to the 5 kids that attend school that we would return once they get their report cards and if they were good that Pat would take the 4 girls to her house and that I would let Arlindo come back to my house for a weekend.

IMG_0443

   Daryl and Wanda Fulp with one of   
                 
Arlindo's sisters

It is a bit against my better judgment to post journals that are not 100% accurate but after much arm twisting Daryl Fulp convinced me to publish his rendition of yesterday's events. I am sure that on reading the following you will soon become aware that not everything that Daryl says is true but than again what can you expect from a missionary.
                                                                         Dick

Much of what Daryl has learned about blogging, including the license to exaggerate, he’s learned from Dick, so I really don’t know what Dick’s worried about~~Pat


Daryl wrote,

In addition to our normal work and ministry, on Wednesday Wanda and I were able to journey over toward the coast with Dick Rutgers and Pat Duff. During that afternoon we experienced a temperature increase of about 15 degrees as we dropped in elevation. By the time we reached our destination things were plenty hot and humid, and this is not even the hot time of year. In addition to the heat we were also exposed to the back and forth verbal bantering between Dick and Pat. Dick had “forgotten” his hearing aids, although I wonder if it wasn’t by design so he could pretend not to listen to Pat. Meanwhile Pat kept trying to prevent Dick from talking while she was attempting to translate:

Pat: “I can only listen to one person at a time!”

Dick: “No Problem, Just make sure it’s me!”

clip_image003  Our first stop was at the home of
 
Gabriel. He is eight years old and has
  Spina Bifida. His back has never been
  repaired, so this little guy has a large
 
mass on his back that prevents him
  from sitting up with firm back support.
  Dick delivered a new wheelchair and
  fitted it with a back pad that is
  positioned higher, allowing the lump to
  fit underneath. This chair also has the
  benefit of folding easily as his family
  takes him to physical therapy each
  week. This journey is actually a nearly  
 
two hour trip one way on a crowded chicken bus, so a folding chair is a great asset to them. We were blessed to meet this wonderful family!

clip_image004

clip_image005

clip_image006
From there we delivered Herlindo (Dick: Daryl spells Arlindo a bit differently than I do but it is the same kid.) (Come to think of it everyone spells things differently than I do?) to his home. Herlindo is the younger brother of Ronnie who passed away in February of Muscular Dystrophy. Herlindo had been showing some weakness and weight loss, and his mom was concerned that these were the early signs of MD. Dick picked him up and kept him for five days so that he could take him to Hermano Pedro for testing. I am pleased to report that he is free of MD. While they are still waiting on a few test results, the general consensus seems to be that he is still depressed from losing his big brother, to whom he was very close. After a few days with Dick he seemed much happier and was eating like aclip_image007 horse!

When we took him home we were able to meet his brothers and sisters. There are seven children remaining, including Herlindo. While there, Wanda got to hold some little ones so that made the entire trip for her!

Then we traveled through the town of La Gomera where we delivered a load of vitamins to a medical clinic and picked-up wheelchair applications. At this point, it was after 3:00 pm and we still had not eaten lunch, so we stopped at a roadside chicken place for a quick bite to eat. The food was good and there were some tables under an awning, so it was a welcome stop. By the time we had eaten and left we all felt renewed.

clip_image008

It was great afternoon together. I saw that Pat has finally gotten used to Dick’s driving as I saw no tears and heard no screams.

Dick: Daryl had evidently left both his glasses and his hearing aid at home.   Truth is, I was too busy praying~~Pat

However, I think maybe Wanda has become a Catholic as I believe I saw her cross herself a few times as she sat in the back. (Now that I think about it, I think she started that around the time I started driving here.) In reality, everyone felt better when Dick let Herlindo ride in his lap and steer.

Dick: The only reason that they felt better was because I first offered to let Daryl drive but he didn't think that he would fit on my lap, and Wanda said that she wasn't sure that she could find the right buss to take home.

When we returned back home we dropped Pat off at her apartment in Antigua and Dick came back to our house. He needed a break and a place to do some journaling so he spent last night upstairs. I just realized that I should probably go check on him to make sure he is not wandering around lost. I think I saw him carrying his GPS around the house last night.

Dick: Daryl's guest bathroom is larger then my entire house. This may sound disgusting but his bathroom is located inside of his house.

Blessings from Guatemala!

Daryl, Wanda, and the Fulps

Thanks Daryl (I think?) : Dick

No comments:

Post a Comment