Surprise Phone Call, Sept 6, 2011

Esmeralda, Carlos and her teacherEsmeralda visiting with Carlos as her teacher looks on

Dick is up in the Huehuetenango area with Chris Mooney and Carlos from Bethel Ministries.  They are visiting the families Bethel serves in the area, both with school and nutritional support.  The families here are some of my favorites in Guatemala, and I was a bit disappointed I could not accompany them. 

Esmeralda talking to me on phoneEsmeralda talking to me on Dick’s phone

Imagine my delight when I answered the phone today, and it was Dick telling me he had someone with him who wanted to talk with me.  It was Esmeralda, a beautiful young lady who I had met almost a year ago when we took her to Guatemala City to see a neurosurgeon.  She had asked why I had not come, and jumped at the chance to visit by phone when Dick offered to call me.  We had a wonderful visit catching up with each other.

This simple gesture reminded me once again how important the relationships we develop with people are.  Esmeralda seldom can leave her home, even to go to school. I think I sometimes fail to realize how much friendship means to these children who are so isolated.  Lord, make me more aware!

No comments:

Post a Comment