Don Leo’s Birthday, November 20, 2011

DSC00820

Yesterday was Leo’s 70th birthday, and his son, Leo, had invited the family, including me, to go out to dinner after church today.

We drove to Esquintla, about 45 min. from Antigua, hoping to eat at a restaurant which was a family favorite.  When we got there, though, we discovered that it had closed since the family’s last visit.  So we headed to the highway looking for somewhere else to eat.

We found a “cervicheria” that looked pretty good and went in.  It was a most interesting place.  While we waited for our food, we were serenaded by a small band which was playing for and visiting with a man at the next table.  It was quite interesting to watch them, especially when one of them got their shoes shined while continuing to play without missing a note.  Numerous peddlers came to our table, selling everything from pirated CD’s to nuts. 

DSC00832

Before

When the food finally came, we were not disappointed.  Leo had ordered “Caldo de Mariscos” (shellfish soup).  This was enough to feed two or three of us, but Leo, who has not been eating much, took great pleasure in polishing off the entire bowl.

DSC00833

After

On our way out of town, we stopped at McDonalds for ice cream (though I passed; after my garlic shrimp I couldn’t eat another bite).  As I watched Douglas, Mari and Leo’s youngest grandson, play on the equipment, I suddenly became intensely homesick for one of the first times since I’ve lived here.

DSC00835

Douglas is the same age as my grandson, Zach.  One of the “Grandma-Zach” traditional outings is going to McDonalds so Zach can play.  As I watched Douglas, I couldn’t help but wonder what I was missing out on with Zach.  I profoundly felt the loss of those special times with him.

Zach & Nate glider

But, as I sat there, I reminded myself about why I’m here.  I do miss Zach and Nate.  And I also know that those two little boys are well loved and taken care of by their parents.  I love the times I’m in Omaha and can lavish attention on them.  These two kids don’t want for anything.

100_3082

 

Then I thought about the kids at Hermano Pedro, who this very afternoon where probably lying alone in their cribs.  With no one to play with them or give them attention unless they were lucky enough to have a few volunteers working with them today.  While physically well cared for, the social and emotional needs of the kids here are sorely lacking.  And I missed “my” kids here in Guatemala.

 

And I looked at Alejandro (age 11) and Douglas (age 5), and was very grateful to have them part of my life here.  I looked at the rest of the Hernandez family, and thanked God that He has placed them in my life.  At the same time that I sorely miss my biological family, I have been welcomed into the heart of my Guatemalan family.  I am blessed. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment