Westside Team, Oct. 8-15

team

One of the reasons I wanted to make sure I was back in Guatemala on time was to be here to greet the team for Westside Church in Omaha (my home church) which came down in early October to work with Bethel ministries.  I had been looking forward to their arrival since VBX at Westside last June.  The kids had raised over $14,000 to be used for ministry here in Guatemala, and I was grateful to get to be a small part of what they would do here.

I was especially excited that some old friends were in this group.  Of course, there was Caleb Smagacz, the Children’s Pastor at Westside, and Mike and Wanda Kearns were also coming for the first time.  Mike and I worked together in Care Ministry at Westside, and Wanda has been one of the ladies faithfully sewing diapers and sending children’s vitamins to us.  I was so excited to introduce them to “my” kids.  A last minute addition to the team was Kelly Toole, who works in the Preschool at Westside.  She had been down here with her daughter almost 5 years ago, and I was so anxious to show her how the kids had grown up.  In addition to these old friends, I made some amazing new ones this week.

outside Hermano PedroSunday we met the group at Hermano Pedro after church.  I stood amazed as many of these folks who had never been exposed to children with severe disabilities fell in love with and loved on the kids.  Dick and I saw would be the case immediately, when we began the tour in the older girls’ area.  Usually groups stand in the middle of the ward kind of shell shocked.  It brought tears to my eyes to look up and immediately see this group spread out in every part of the ward, talking to, touching, loving the girls, in spite of their language differences.  I was like Jesus was all over the room. . .and He was through these loving people.  It was hard to get them to move on to the next area.

Adam and Julio

 

 

Mike and Bobby

 

 

 

DSC00022Presley and baby

DSC00029

 

 

 

 

 

 

DSC00026

We spent most of our time in the Annibel, with the little kids.  It seemed each person found a “special” kids to love on, and you could see on their faces how the kids were affecting the people on this team.  I will always remember Ron, a “gentle giant” of a man, hold Paulo, one of the kids who tugs at my heart the most.  Paulo has little if any vision, and frequently spends his afternoons crying alone in his bed.  I often come and sing to him, but am unable to hold him because of his size.  This wasn’t a problem at all for Ron, though, who scooped him up and cuddled and just loved him.  This is the first time I have ever seen anyone hold Paulo, and he just melted into Ron. 

The next few days the team dove into housebuilding, in spite of the torrential rains.  I didn’t accompany them to these builds, as I had other commitments, but did spent the nights at the hotel in Chimaltenago with them.  Each night I got to know them a little better, and by the time they left, felt close to each one of them.  Their companionship and friendship blessed me greatly, and I pray they will continue to be involved in our ministry and perhaps return here again.  I’d love to host any of them!

DSC00035

No comments:

Post a Comment