Why Not Me?


What would have happened if David said, "Not Me!" when he saw the vision for building God's temple? Or if his son Solomon said, "Not Me!" when given the opportunity to fulfill that vision. Nehemiah did not say, "Not Me! I am the cupbearer to the king," when he heard that the walls of Jerusalem were falling down, he risked speaking to the king about the situation and in return was blessed with permission and provision. 
What would happen in our homes, churches and communities if each person made a conscious choice to NOT say, "Not Me!" 
What if the reason you see the need is because it is to be you? 
What if you washed the dish and put it away? What if you served on that ministry team, went on that mission trip, taught that Sunday School, became a deacon, planted a church, or took that meal? What if you shared Jesus with your neighbor, colleague or checkout clerk and didn't leave it up to someone else? Maybe, we might have fewer dirty dishes and more saved souls. Both make for cleaner environments! 
Let's make it our New Year's resolution to get rid of the "Not Me's" in our vocabulary and take the time to pause and pray, "Is it me?" Then just do it for the glory of the LORD! Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom. Ecclesiastes 9:10 
Simply, Tara (Rye)

I read the above in my friend Tara' blog this morning and immediately felt compelled to share it with you, my friends.  I searched for something to write as my wish for you for the New Year, and discovered I could wish you nothing better than to heed Tara's words. . .I encourage you, when faced with a need, to ask, "Why not me?"  At times God makes it clear we should not become involved, but often I think He invites us to join His work through the people he places in our paths.  It's so easy to say, "It's not my job," and not really consider what He might be inviting us into.  Some of the greatest blessings I've received have come from being involved in something that wasn't "in my box" to do.

Remember, it really isn't about the doing. . .it's about responding to His leading, and bringing Him glory in the process.  I pray He invites you to great things this year.


Happy New Year from Antigua, Guatemala!




No comments:

Post a Comment