Working with Iglesia del Camino

DSC03071I remember very clearly that day Pastor Mike Watkins, senior pastor of Iglesia del Camino in Antigua, and I had breakfast last October.  We were talking about the children’s ministry, and I very forcefully said, “God didn’t bring me to Guatemala to be on a church staff again.”  Mike just smiled.
In November, he invited me to have breakfast again, this time with both him and Maria Dolores, the children’s ministry director.  Maria Dolores had come to him saying that she needed help, and he thought perhaps God had brought me to the church at “just the right time.”  Would I consider being her assistant?
I raised numerous objections, from not wanting to ignore my primary ministry to kids with disabilities, to needing the freedom to travel, including visiting the US, in which case I would be gone a number of Sundays, to just not knowing if I had the energy.  I did, however, love working with Maria Dolores during Vacation Bible School, and agreed we made a good time.  We talked about the options, agreed that I could do the majority of the work at home if I decided to help out, and left it that we would all pray for God’s clarity in this.
I spent the next week or so telling God all the reasons that this wasn’t a good idea.  I should have recognized right away, that when I tell Him why I don’t want to do something, it’s usually because I feel Him leading me in that direction.  When all my excuses to him failed, I agree to try out the position until I went to the States in April.
DSC03048
Well, it’s April.  I still struggle with how much time and energy working with the children’s ministry takes.  I have to admit, though, that both Mike and Maria Dolores have been more than flexible, never pressuring me to do more than I am able.  I love the kids and love being with them.  We have a great group of volunteer teachers (though, as in every children’s ministry I know, we need more), and I’m enjoying getting to know the parents.
DSC03079What I hadn’t bargained for, though, was the changes coming to the church.  We are beginning two services April 15.  That means a drastic expansion of the children’s ministry activities.  We will begin having Sunday School during the first service, and Children’s Church during the second.
DSC03081And, besides Pastor Mike, guess who’s the only one on staff who has any experience with a children’s church model.  Yep, that would be me.  So I’ve agreed to stay on a while longer, though, if I’m honest, I’d love a break. (I will get one in April when I’m in the States, and pray I come back raring to go again.)
Maria Dolores is a really good children’s leader.  She’s going to seminary on Saturdays to become better equipped to do her job.  And she has one of the sweetest spirits of anyone I’ve ever met.  She feels very much like a daughter to me. 
Since she speaks only Spanish, and our church is bilingual, I’m spending a good deal of time translating Spanish materials into English.  I’m doing quite a bit of curriculum writing, too.  Now exactly what I had in mind when I came down here.  But I’m pretty sure God knew this would happen all along. . .
DSC03082

DSC03084








So for now, at least, I’m once again on a church staff.  I’m a volunteer, though, so get to pick and choose (within limits) what I will do.  I’m being stretched to learn how to disciple kids from two very different cultures, and I’m realizing how dependent I am on God to be able to do this.  Maybe that’s the reason He’s put me here. . .to remind me how little I am without Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment