Futbol (soccer) and Dessert


On Sunday afternoons the power has been out in Chimaltenango as the electric company does maintenance on some of its transformers.  Usually this is not a problem and people are pretty used to it.  This past Sunday, however, when Barcelona was playing Real Madrid in futbol (soccer to you North Americans) it really cramped the style of some of our guys.


Since we had power here in Antigua, my guys called some of their friends at home in Chimal and invited them to join us for the futbol game.  They happily accepted and were down here in short order.  Fortunately I had made chocolate chip banana bars for dessert today, and Dick supplied the ice cream.  The guys chipped in and bought a variety of chips and a couple bottles of pop, and soon my living room was transformed into a viewing room.



There was too much testosterone in one room for me to handle, so, after serving the dessert, I headed to my room to work on the computer.  I was surprised when Esbin knocked on the door to bring me a big glass of pop.  They didn't want me to feel left out though they couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to be glued to the set with them!

While Fidel doesn't care much about futbol on TV, he loves hanging
out with all the guys

I often joke that I'm the housemother in a Guatemalan frat house, and today really felt like this.  When I dreamed of a house such as Casa de Esperanza, I had hoped for times like these, where friends would come over to just visit the guys and do "guy" stuff with the residents.  I was such a joy to see this happening.

1 comment:

  1. I am filled with joy everytime I see the joy on all their faces. You are such a blessing to your frat house :)

    ReplyDelete