Other Developments in the Casa

Until I sit down to write and review the past few months, it doesn't seem like much is happening.  Maybe because it is all happening too fast.  But, looking through the pictures from the last couple of months, I see where we've grown.


Tony and Alberto in Central Park
Tony has joined our staff and brings his own style to care giving.  While very compassionate and kind, he has a strength and firmness in dealing with certain situations which we have needed.  As hard as it is for me to admit, in this culture a man's voice carries more weight than a woman's and I am grateful to have Tony lend me his voice when needed.  Of all the guys in the house, he does the best job, too, of taking care of me--often offering to wash the nightly dishes if I seem tired or am busy.  He also knows how to cook--a great plus when I'm away from the house evenings or weekends.


Miguel babysitting a friend's son while also caring for our guys
Miguel is our resident funny man, and I never know what will come out of his mouth.  He really wants to go to the University, but realizes he's not yet ready academically.  He spends his Sundays taking classes to prepare him for the entrance examination at the University of San Carlos.  This has been a struggle for him, first to recognize that he was academically lacking, and secondly, to take the initiative to find a way to fix this--all on his own.  I'm so very proud of him, and the example he gives Fidel and Alberto about determination in getting an education.  (With the diploma he has, he could easily get a job, but continues to hold fast to his dream of becoming a psychologist.)  He's also a great barber, and lends his talents to the household.


Miguel cutting Carlitos' hair--and he's not impressed.
Carlitos is the son of our housekeeper, Flor















Miguel wanted to try his hand a cutting women's hair
and offered to cut mine.  The whole time I was saying to myself:
"Relationship over appearance."
It turned out quite well, I think.





















Alberto sitting in the doorway before he had his power chair
Alberto now fearlessly ventures out into the community with one of the companion care-givers.  He has taken on some simple household responsibilities, and brings his unique, dry sense of humor to the dinner table.  












Dick supervising Alberto's first venture into Antigua in his power chair
Fidel on Cerro de la Cruz
a high hill overlooking all of Antigua
Fidel has become our resident "callejero" or man of the street.  He even made it up to the top of Cerro de la Cruz, a high hill which overlooks all of Antigua.  (His chair did need a bit of work after this experience.  Thank you, Bethel Ministries for looking after it for us.  He loves to be out at Central Park in the early evening, and, while I have to admit I worry about him after dark, I respect his right to decided to do this.  And I trust our care-givers who go with him.




Carlin is living with us as he studies tourism at Valle Verde, a private school a few blocks away from here.  Both Cesar and Fernando decided to study in Chimaltenango this year, which made room for Carlin.  Carlin is a "big" guy in every way:  



  • from his size:he had to wait an extra month to get his uniform shirt because they didn't have one big enough to fit him!
  • to his appetite:  I have to admit he eats as much as both Cesar and Fernando did, and that's saying something
  • and most importantly, his huge heart:  He has been involved in mission trips within Guatemala and Nicaragua through his church youth group, and I can't help of think of him as a "gentle giant" when I see him caring for Fidel and Alberto.


We have made progress in our spiritual development as a household as well.  When Scott and Linda Hardee were here from Kansas City, they began a weekly Bible Study which we are trying to continue without them.  We are working on a system to be more intentional in praying for our partners, as well as trying to learn the Bible verses recommended weekly by our church family here in Antigua.  Most importantly, however, I find "spiritual topics"  becoming a regular part of our conversations around the table, and I am attempting to teach the guys to resolve conflict using Biblical principles.  (The hardest part of this is that it requires that I use these same principles both within our house and the community.  Quite a challenge sometimes when our cultures conflict!)

We are so grateful for all the ways God has blessed us since we opened as a household a little over a year ago.  Pray we remain faithful to his call on our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Pat,
    I always love to hear all about the way the Lord is using you to bless others in Guatemala. I also love to see all the pictures.
    I truly miss everyone. Love in Christ Liz

    ReplyDelete