Chicos de Chimal


A lot has been going on with the kids up in Chimaltenango who have made Dick's home their second home.  I don't get to see them all that often, but they hold a special place in my heart.  I have had a chance to watch a couple of the games which the team Cesar is coaching has played, and have to admit I love watching Elder especially.  He's always held his own playing with the big guys and shines now that he's on a team with younger kids.


School this year has been difficult for a lot of the guys.  Looking at their textbooks, I can understand why, especially in math and science.  What they are studying is more complicated than what I can understand or help them with, but they are plugging away for the most part.

Carlin has returned to Chimaltenango this semester, due to family situations.  He is finishing out the year at a school up there, but the change in the curriculum has been quite difficult for him, not to mention how costly this move has been.  Pray as he considers what he will do next year.

Kevin is now living with us, at least during the week, as he does his practicuum as a dental assistant at the Health Center here in Antigua.  He doesn't get done with work many days til it's too late to take the bus back to Chimaltenango, and so he's staying with us and helping with Fidel in the evenings.  He's very proud of his studies and his career choice, and we are, too.

Fernando has been struggling since the death of his grandmother.  While he is trudging on, I know it's not easy for him, and he's now pretty much on his own as his momma is in the US.  He's not sure if he wants to continue school past Third Basico, and has talked about coming to work for me.  Pray for him and for us as these decisions are being made.  He has a lot of potential, but right now I think he needs to be part of a family more than anything.



Tony has accepted a job working at an orphanage in Parramos, so we are having a few staff adjustments.  Marcos and Ebner David are filling in on weekends, and are a great help.

Marcos is considering studying in Jocotenango if he can get into that school, and wants to live with us starting in January.



Finally, there's Cesar.


He is really coming into his own.  He is completing his career education in teaching PE, and will be, God willing, going on to the University in January. He will be the first of "our" kids to do so.  I admire his determination and his commitment to his education.  School is not easy for him, but he makes up for it in diligence and hard work.

Recently he presented his final project for his promotion, and he invited Dick and me to attend.  I don't think we could have been prouder if he was our own son, and I know I teared up more than once during the presentation.  He looked awfully handsome in his suit and tie, too.






Just yesterday he completed one of  his final requirements for promotion, and it was a tough one.  To pass his swimming requirement, he had to swim across Lake Atitlan!  Swimming is not his strong suit, and both Dick and I were very concerned that he would not be able to make it the whole way.  We were more concerned that he would push himself too far, and would have problems before one of the kayaks accompanying the swimmers could get to him.  We've been doing a lot of praying about this one.


I am happy to say that we worried for nothing.  While I'm sure it was very hard for him, he succeeded without incident.  He's really proud of this accomplishment, and we are too.  What I am most proud of, however, is his conviction of  where he received the power to do this.  He posted on his facebook page:


I thank God for giving me this experience and the ability to do what I set out to do.  Thank God for giving me the opportunity to cross the lake.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!"



No comments:

Post a Comment