May 7, 2009

How can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?

As I prepare for another trip to Guatemala, I can't wait to see what God will do. It has been hard to give my heart fully to the work I am doing here at the church. Well, tonight God brought me up short.

I'd gotten a call from a man earlier in the week, saying he needed to talk with someone at the church. I suggested he wait till next week when Pastor Mike would be back from vacation, but he said he needed someone NOW. Though I don't usually meet with men, I agreed to see him tonight.

What a blessing. In the space of an hour I got to see God take someone who claimed not to believe in God (though his words seemed to indicate he was fighting someone he claimed not to believe in) and transform him into a brother in Christ. And I got to sit by and watch. Sure, I shared a few scriptures, told some of my story, but mostly, this man talked himself into beginning a new life with Jesus. It was amazing to watch the Holy Spirit do his thing.

I learned a lesson from this experience. I don't need to travel 1900 miles to find someone who has never really heard the good news. This young man, though he's been slightly exposed to religion, really had never heard the story of Jesus. In Omaha, Nebraska, with churches all over the place. How I take for granted that all have heard.

In Romans (10:13-15) it says "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." However, Paul goes on to remind us: "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" And tonight God sent me no further than my office to "preach" to one who had not heard. And the more he heard of Jesus, the more he wanted Him.

Had a similar experience last night. Am leading a fellowship group in a town not far outside Omaha, for a group of women who work together. Not really your "churchy" type ladies, but wonderful women and great friends. There are about 20 of us meeting together every Wednesday night in the home of one of these dear ones. And we are grappling with the question, "Who is God?" Last night we got to talking about Jesus. And it was amazing. I could see the Holy Spirit working in the minds and hearts of these women as I had the privlege of introducing them to my Lord and Savior. For the first time some of them realized that Jesus is not concerned with "religion" but with "relationship." That He came to set us free from the sin that ensnares us. I could visibly see HOPE dawn on many of their faces. Again, I get a front row seat to watch the work of God.

Lord, open my eyes to see those who are hungry to hear your Word. Jesus, let me never take for granted the privilege of serving You and sharing You. The harvest IS ripe. Thank you, Lord, for reminding me to be Your witness in Jerusalem (my neighborhood) as well as to the ends of the earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment