May 27, 2009

Arrived in Guatemala without any problems. Once again, Leo picked me up at the airport. The traffic in Guatemala city seemed even worse this time, if that's possible. Of course, as soon as I arrived, Naya, who helps with the housekeeping, insisted I eat, even though I'd had lunch on the plane. Food is still a major means of socialization here.

It seemed that I'd had barely enough time to unpack before I was called to dinner! When I went to the garden table, Mari had put a bouquet of roses at my place to welcome me. I burst into tears. These people treat me so well. I am becoming accustomed to being spoiled. . .I could learn to like this. Of course, dinner was a "special" meal and cake was served for dessert to celebrate my arrival.

Got to meet the students staying at the house at dinner that evening. One is a young man from California, one a young woman from Connecticut, and two young men from England. So, am learning just how different British and American English can be, as well as trying to resurrect my use of Spanish.

Talked to Dick and it was agreed that we would leave tomorrow to take Bayron his communication system. We will also visit a few other families in the area. Since the area where we are going is near the El Salvador border, our trip will take two days. Am wondering which of Dick's neighborhood kids will come along as interpreters. We'll see tomorrow. . .now I'd better get some sleep so I'm not late in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment