Days of Joy (Jan. 25-26) Part 1

If this quote from Pierre Tielhard de Chardin is true (and I think it may be) than I have been in the presence of God a number of times in the past 48 hours.

The Nurses and the Kids
Yesterday, (Tuesday) after going to the dentist (not an all together joyful experience), Dick and I decided to stop by Hermano Pedro to see the kids.  He'd also agreed to show a group of visiting college students around the orphanage.  It was at the end of the tour that we were surprised by joy.



We had been in the malnutrition area, and were walking down the ramp to the children's area, when we heard hooting and whooping and laughing as we had never heard it before in the orphanage.  We couldn't imagine what was going on.  As we walked a little farther down, we saw all of the nurses in the courtyard, holding and playing with the children--and having the time of their lives (both the kids and the nurses, though I'm not sure the nurses weren't enjoying it more!).  We could hardly believe our eyes. . .as Dick put it, "This is an answer to 10 years of prayer." 

Once in a while the nurses will stop from their routine to love or or play with a child.  But to see them ALL engaged with the children, to see the spontaneity of their enjoyment of the kids and each other, was an experience beyond words (though both Dick and I were moved to tears.  The kids with us probably couldn't figure out what was wrong with us.).  I believe it really was a movement of the Holy Spirit, in answer to prayer. 

Amalia with Manuelito
I'm not exaggerating when I say it felt like a "holy moment" and I could sense Jesus in our midst, laughing with us.  When I went over and hugged the head nurse, and told her how great this was, she said, "We need to do this more!" At this I did burst into tears.

I don't know that I can describe it any better than these pictures do, so I'll let them speak for me.  I was so grateful, though, that God let me share this moment with them.
Dalila and Delmi








1 comment:

  1. What incredible pictures!!!

    Jaimie (went on Daryl Fulp's trip 2 summers ago)

    ReplyDelete