Visit to Wilmer and Walter (Jan, 13)


Thursday morning our first destination was Wilmer's house, someplace north of Barbarena.  This is another family I've visited before and was glad Dick had brought me with this time.  Wilmer's mom is a neat lady, and does her best with her four kids.

When we arrived, we found mom was out working in the coffee fields.  Her daughter was at home caring for her three younger siblings.  We did notice, however, that the children's aunt, who lives up the hill from them, was watching carefully over the fence to see what we were about.


We had hoped to talk with Mom about the possibility of taking her youngest son, Walter, into Guatemala City to see a neurosurgeon.  There seems a good chance that he has hydrocephalus.  His head is definitely out of proportion to his body, and he is unable to walk, though he talks and has great hand use (he can pick up the tiniest bits of corn chips and get them into his mouth easily!).  With Mom not at home, this would have to wait, though hopefully not too long.  Walter was friendlier this trip than on our previous visits, where he usually would cling to Mom and cry at the sight of gringos.  Today, Fernando, our official "kid magnet," was able to pick him up without any hesitation on Walter's part.  Fernando really has a gift for making kids feel safe with him.  (Walter still was not too crazy about Dick or me holding him, but did smile and even talked with me a little.)



The trip was not a total loss, however, as we talked with Wilmer about his school work and got some information about the new teacher who would be working with him this year.  Wilmer could easily attend school, but receives private tutoring, because the teasing he took from his teachers as well as the other kids was just too much for him to handle.  He is very happy studying at home and seems to be making good progress.


We checked the fit of his wheelchair, and the tray he uses.  It was immediately apparent that with as much as he hunches forward, he will need a longer tray.  Dick took measurements, drew a design, and we were later able to connect with a fellow in town who should be able to make an extended part for the tray. 



I continue to be struck by how comfortable I am visiting these folks in their homes.  I sometimes feel like I've always been here in Guatemala.  It amazes me more, however, at how comfortable these families seem to be with my presence in their home.  When I would first visit, I sometimes felt like I was treated like visiting "royalty."  Now it's even better--I feel more like I'm visiting family.

No comments:

Post a Comment