New Shoes (February 11, 2011)

 




















You're probably wondering, "Why on earth is she posting about buying shoes?" Well, let me explain. . .


When I was preparing to move to Guate, friends at the church told me I HAD to buy a pair of "Clarks" sandals, as they would be wonderful for walking on the cobblestone streets in Antigua. I thought about it, priced them, and true to my frugal little heart, decided not to spend the money.

The more I walked here, the more I wished I had a pair, so I began praying about it, but still was too frugal (cheap?) to buy a pair. When I was last in the States, I was looking for toys for the kids at Goodwill, and thought I'd look at shoes. I saw a pair of sandals that looked sturdy enough for the wear and tear of Guatemala, and, lo and behold when I turned them over, saw they were Clarks. I rushed to try them on and they fit perfectly. I claimed them, especially the way I found them, and the fact that I only paid $3 for them, as a direct blessing from Jesus in answer to my prayer. I wear them almost every day, and they are wonderful.

Today I found out that was not the end of the story. Dick and I have been traveling in the Santa Rosa Department of Guatemala. Have been wearing my athletic shoes, but somehow they just aren't as comfortable as my Clarks. As we were driving today, I just happened to mention to Dick, almost in passing, that I thought when I was in the States in April, I might break down and actually buy a pair of Clarks loafers for those times I really need closed toe shoes. I joked about praying for another pair, but then said I didn't want to be greedy! LOL Both of us forgot about the conversation, and we finished taking Walter and his mom back to heir house in the mountains.

We had decided to spend the night in Cuilapa again, since we have to be in Guate City early tomorrow and both needed the time to catch up on journalling. On our way back to the hotel, Dick saw a used shoe store and wanted to see if he could get some used p.e. shoes for some of his kids. While he was checking them out, I saw a pair of black loafers that looked about my size, and thought, "Well, maybe I don't need Clarks after all."

Then I turned them over. "Clarks" it said on the bottom of the pair. And I stood there, in a used clothing store in the middle of a Guatemalan village that seldom sees white people, and felt very foolish fighting back tears. Surely God would not have done it again. . .

When Dick walked over and I showed him the trade mark, he, too seemed to fight back tears, so I didn't feel quite as foolish. All he said was, "Guess He heard you." And I humbly believe He did. . .

It is absolutely amazing to me that the Lord, God of the Universe, would listen not only to the prayer of someone in Guatemala, but would actually listen in to our conversations to hear us express our desires. A part of me wants to believe it was just coincidence. . .it almost seems to fearful to actually experience God listening to our every word. But, intellectually I believe He does, so why would I doubt it? But for him to bother with getting me not just shoes that would suffice, but the very kind of shoes I desired, absolutely blows my mind.

I learned first hand today that God cares about the little things. . .and I stand amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment