Ronny Hernandez (December 8, 1993 - February 2, 2011)

Dick wrote:

Ronny Hernandez  (December 8, 1993 - February 2, 2011)

I received a phone call a few nights ago. It was from Ronny's dad. He told me that Ronny who had muscular dystrophy had once again come down with pneumonia. Just 3 months ago Ronny had come down with pneumonia and we were sure that he was not going to make it but he miraculously pulled through. (Link to October 28 journal) Ronny even got healthy enough that he was able to join Pat, his sisters, his brother, Elder and me on a 2 day outing to a hotel near the ocean. (Link to January 4 journal)


Today however I received another phone call from Ronny's dad saying that this morning at 10:30 Ronny had died. I will morn his loss as I have so many other kids that were so close to me who have also died in the past few months.


Goodbye my friend. I will miss you, but I can smile because I know that the next time that I see you I will not have to carry you.


"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”  Revelation 21:4

Rony's family was one of the first families I met here in Guatemala.  For a number of years I knew them only through Dick's journals, but a few years ago a team from Westside came down and painted their house.  I got to know his sisters quite well on this trip, and have become very fond of the whole family.  I was glad to be with Dick when we got the news of his passing--somehow it made it easier to handle the news when we were able to share it.  If this is hard for me, I can only imagine how difficult it is for Dick, who thought of Ronnie as a "son." 

The connection with this family is truly a God story--Dick first met Rony in malnutrition at Hermano Pedro, and lost track of him when he went home, leaving his electric wheelchair behind.  Through a series of  "Godincients" Dick found the family, and has been very close to them ever since. 

I grieve for the family, for Dick, and for the way in which I will miss Rony.  I'm not really able to feel too much grief for Rony himself, though.  While I'm sad he left us while he still enjoyed life so much, I know that he is now enjoying more than I can even imagine as he spends his days with Jesus.

That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard,and no mind has imaginedwhat God has preparedfor those who love him.” Cor. 2:9

No comments:

Post a Comment