Surprise in Santa Rosa, Feb. 9, 2011, Part 2



 Valentina





We started off early this morning for Barberena, in Santa Rosa, thinking we were coming here to do some prep work on Bayron's house (that two friends from Westside are coming to build next week) and tomorrow take Walter to the neurologist (to see if he has hydrocephalus).





We finished at Bayron's in record time, and headed for the hotel for a leisurely afternoon.  In the car I casually asked Dick if he wanted me to call Flori (a social worker friend here) and see if she was free to visit Marcos Saul.  We had given him a chair a few months ago, and are providing medication for him to help stabilize his seizures.  We had promised to visit him the last time we were here, and ran out of time.


I called Flori, half-heartedly hoping I wouldn't reach her.  She answered and was happy to accompany us.  Only in Guatemala can you be told, "Meet me at the gas station" and, miraculously to me, actually end up in the right gas station in a town you hardly know.  I guess there is only one gas station in her town, but we had no way of knowing this.



We headed off up the mountain to Marcos' home, driving most of the way on loose sand.  I was grateful for Dick's 4-wheel-drive and his driving competence each time the wheels slid.  We could look down over the side of the road and see a sheer drop to the valley we had left below.


We arrived at Marcos' without problems, and were warmly greeted by the family.  Dick was able to make some adjustments to Marcos' wheelchair, we visited about an upcoming appointment he has with the neurologist at Hermano Pedro, and were wrapping things up to leave.






Up the drive came a lady carrying a small baby.  She had heard Flori was visiting Marcos, and had come hoping she could help her get surgery for her 20 day old granddaughter who also had a cleft lip and palate.  We talked a little bit, and while the baby seemed tiny, grandma said she thought Valentina was heavier than she was at birth.  They knew she had to gain at least 10 lbs. before the doctors would consider the surgery, and were waiting for that.  (Grandma is Valentina's primary care-taker, as Valentina's mother, has a severe seizure disorder and mental illness.  Grandma said she is afraid to leave the baby with Mom for fear she'll kill her. Talk about a difficult situation. . .)


Then, Dick asked to hold her.  The look on his face when he picked her up sent my heart into my stomach.  He said, "I don't think she weighs 5 lbs."  We gently began talking with grandma about the malnutrition project at Hermano Pedro, and she was interested immediately.  We asked her if we could take a picture of Valentina without all the clothes she was bundled in, thinking she could come to the clinic the 22nd of February when others from her area would be coming to Antigua.


I think both Dick and I caught our breath as soon as Grandma removed Valentina's cap--somehow she hadn't looked quite as tiny wearing a hat, and we could see that her sparce hair had already lost color from malnutrition.  As we removed her sleeves and pants, we could see that, despite the best efforts of Grandma and Dad, this little one had wrinkles betraying how much weight she had lost.
We began talking about the possibility of bringing her in to Antigua when we return next week to build Bayron's house.  The more we talked the sicker each of us felt, fearing she didn't have a week to spare before getting help.  And, she's healthy now.  No fever or diarreah, so could be admitted immediately to malnutrition.  In her weakened condition, we didn't think that would be the case in a few days.

We asked Flori if there was any way she could get them in sooner. . .we were committed to Walter already, and he had waited more than 6 months for this appointment.  I think we both felt a little helpless.  Flori reluctantly said she would be going to Antigua tomorrow, but they were leaving at 4 am and there was no way they could possibly pick up this family in such a remote place.
Immediately it was decided that, if they were willing, we would bring Grandma, Dad, and Valentina back with us to our hotel, which would be on Flori's way to Antigua tomorrow.  Grandma agree instantly, and was off to call Dad and get ready to come with us.





So, tonight we had a lovely dinner in the hotel with Grandma, Dad, and this darling little girl.  For as tiny as she is, she's so alert, and makes such great eye-contact that she's stolen both our hearts. I'm proud to say that Dick and I didn't fight over who would hold her more, but shared her attention pretty well.  I got tears in my eyes watching my bachelor friend walk the floor with this crying baby, looking for all the world like he had done this his whole life.  What a sweet moment.



 
I have to admit,  I feel somewhat sad that I can't just drop everything and go with them to Antigua tomorrow.  I'm learning more and more, though, that I don't have to do everything, only my part.  And tonight our part is just to get them to where Flori can meet them tomorrow.  I'm so honored to have Guatemalan friends and colleagues here who are competent to help their own people, they only need our support.





Was it a random thought that made me ask Dick to go to visit Marcos?  I'm sure it was the Holy Spirit, and for once I heard His voice, even if somewhat reluctantly.  Just like it wasn't a coincidence that today was the day we visited them, that Grandma just so happened to bring Valentina while we were there, that Flori just so happened to be going to Antigua tomorrow, or that our hotel was on their way.  I sit and marvel at seeing the finger-prints of God all over these events, and am humbled to be a small part of this.
How many days can you say you got to trade an afternoon of leisure for being a small part in saving a life?  Thank you, Jesus, for today, and be with them tomorrow as they travel.




Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment