Consulting at Kemna ‘Oj

photo-51
A few months ago, we were visited at New Life by the psychologist from one of the three other colegios (private schools) in Santa Maria de Jesus.  They had come over to ask for help with a few of their students who were not making progress in their program, and were wondering if there was any way we could help them out.

cimg6291I arranged to visit the school, and was impressed by their program.  The school provides grades Pre-K through 3 to students who cannot afford to attend the public schools (no, they are not free) in Santa Maria, or who may need a smaller setting in which to learn.  The average class size in the public school here is about 50 students to one teacher.  At Kemna ‘Oj it is closer to 1-15. Many of the children come with only a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, having grown up speaking Kaqchikel in their homes. 

Funded by the foundation Casas a Hogares (Houses to Homes), with offices both  in New Jersey and Antigua, this school is currently housed in a rented house, with three floors and two very narrow winding stairways.  Not an ideal setting, but they make it work.  A building project to expand not only the physical facility but the services available is currently underway. 


cimg6278
IMG_1076_000
Current school (left) and new construction underway (below).



cimg6276
Due to the significant influence of American volunteers, the curriculum of the school is the most Americanized I’ve seen anywhere in Guatemala.  There is emphasis not just on rote learning, but on developmental skills, problem solving and critical thinking skills.  A modified Montessori method is used in the preschool and kindergarten.  Reading is a high priority and I was astonished to see the first graders read books independently for at least a half hour period.  (Those who could not read well yet looked for words they knew, or talked quietly to themselves about the pictures.)  It was a joy to watch them work.

cimg7782
While not a Christian school, Kemna ‘Oj definitely serves the least of these in Santa Maria de Jesús, and after prayer and reflection felt led to help this school where I can.  Since my primary commitment is to New Life and Hermano Pedro, I can only offer consultation and assessment and help planning for their children, but the staff seems happy with whatever I can do.

IMG_9017My decision was confirmed one day when I was meeting about one of the students with Roxana, the psychologist at Kemna ‘Oj.  She wanted to know what had brought me to Guatemala, and I briefly  explained my journey to full-time mission work.  She got the sweetest smile on her face as she told me about her walk with Jesus, and that in fact, she believes He has brought her to Santa Maria not just to influence the school, but bring the entire community into a relationship with Christ. 

DSC04002I sat there stunned.  These were almost the exact words my friend, Judy Kerschner, used when explaining to me her call to Santa Maria: to win the village to Jesus, using the school as a tool.  I knew then that it was God who had brought these two schools together for His plan and purpose.  I can’t wait to see how He plays it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment