A Full Week with a Full House

dinner tableWe had not really planned “activities” for this trial run week, wanting it to be as much like a normal living situation as possible.  I quickly discovered that with a bunch of young men in the house, I would not need to plan much, only hold down the lid on their activity.

IMG00452-20130326-1028Yep, that’s right.  Fidel operates the computer using his feet.

Both the TV and the computers got a real work out this week.  I was a little lax with this, since neither Moises or Fidel have much opportunity to use a computer or TV whenever they want.  I did chuckle, however, when Miguel, who would live on the computer himself if Dick let him, came to me asking if I had a ball they could use to play “futbol” (soccer), since he was concerned Moises was on the computer too much!

IMG00459-20130328-0911

 

 

Thanks to a Ivy, a young lady from the Westside Team, we had the perfect ball with which to play soccer in my house, with it’s numerous windows.  She had sewn fabric covers into which you could insert and inflate a balloon.  These were perfect for safe soccer in the house. 

 


Much of my week centered around food—preparing it, serving it, and cleaning up after it.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed cooking for a big family, but was happy to have Mari’s help with the typical Guatemalan dishes served during Holy Week.  The guys each washed their own dishes, but I took care of the kitchen clean up—mostly because I’m a bit compulsive about making sure everything is really clean!  They did pitch in willingly, though, whenever asked.  And

I think the favorite activity, though, was baking Oatmeal Scotchies Cookies. (Thank you Kathleen McGlynn for bringing the chips and brown sugar that made this possible!) Baking at home is not common here in Guatemala (few homes have ovens), and none of the boys had ever done this. They all are anxious to do it again, however.

IMG00463-20130328-1123

 

 

Calin helped Moises mix the sugar into the butter.

 

 

DSC07096c

 

 

 

Fidel’s job was to mix in the chips—which he did enthusiastically with a little help from Esbin.

 

 

 

 

IMG00466-20130328-1134

And Esbin and Calin took care of scooping the cookies out and baking them.  Sorry, no pictures of us eating the cookies.  We were all too busy enjoying the fruits of our labor!

I am so glad I like being “la alma de la casa.”  This phrase translates, “the soul of the home,” and I like that so much better than our English term housewife or even home maker.  It really is my desire to set the tone for a spirit of welcome and hospitality in this place and I got plenty of practice this week.  It seems that this, along with the ever present need to raise funds to sustain us, will be my major role here at the Casa.

IMG00453-20130328-0854The boys did an amazing job of helping Don Antonio, Fidel and Moises with those things they could not do independently.  They came up with very creative ways of caring for their personal hygiene needs, and we discovered that our house really is quite functional in that area.  I did virtually no care-giving this week (I even had to fight for a turn to feed Fidel, who cannot use his arms), but just had time to enjoy the guys. 

I don’t remember my own kids being so much fun, but maybe because I way younger and WAY more intense than I am now.  (Sorry, Jeremy, Mikayla, Jon and Joel, but I’m grateful for what you all taught me along the way that prepared me for where I am now!)

DSC06050

We shared a number of meals with Dick, the boys from Chimal, and our friends the Senesacs.  It was so neat to see the boys enjoying a normal family setting, especially at mealtime.  Fidel, especially, was so happy to get to decide what he wanted to eat, and Moises took full advantage of having the liberty to eat seconds (or thirds, or fourths!).

DSC06051

For me, the high points of the week were the times we spent together talking and praying.  I am moved to tears every time I hear Fidel struggle to form the words to pray aloud, remembering so clearly the times in the past when I would mention God to him, and he would drive his chair away in disgust. 

We watched a number of videos from Life Without Limbs, the ministry of Nick Vujicic, and had some great discussions with Moises and Fidel, especially, about God’s plan and purpose for their lives.  Fidel was moved to tears when I told him, that to me, he is every bit as much of an inspiration as Nick is in his ministry.  And that’s the truth.

And we all worshipped together on Easter Sunday at Iglesia del Camino, and went out to lunch at Piccadilly Restaurant.  Just like a “real” family.

It is so overwhelming to see our long time dream becoming a reality, thanks God who cares for us, and you who support us.  And it’s only gonna get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment