Casa Esperanza on Wheels!

IMG00468-20130329-0952

Well, the wheels for the house are a bit bigger, and somewhat more expensive, than the wheels Moises and Fidel have been using to get around, though, come to think of it, maybe not more expensive than Fidel’s very specialized chair would be if Bethel Ministries had not provided it for him. In it’s defense, it does hold six more people than a wheelchair, and I don’t have to push it (I hope!). 

I hadn’t planned (or budgeted) to buy a car right now, but I think God provided this car for us in much the same way He provided the house. 

(More pictures at the end of this entry. . .)

This journey  began when another missionary posted that he was selling a 1996 Suburban for only $2000.  That price was too good to pass up, but when I went with Dick to look at it, we discovered it was actually overpriced.  The power steering squealed, the engine wasn’t hitting on all cylinders, and the muffler needed to be replaced.  The nicest part of the car was the body!

Somewhat disappointed, I passed on the car.  However, Dick and I had spent enough time talking about the benefit a car would be to the house, that he was not as willing to give up on finding a car as easily as I was.  About an hour after he went back to Chimaltenango, I got a call from him and some of the boys that they were bringing me a car to look at.  (More than) a little surprised, I told him to come bring it on.  He had gone to see his mechanic, Eli, who had a 2001 Mazda MPV he wanted to sell, and Dick thought it would be perfect for us.

When I saw it I couldn’t believe how nice it was.  It is a v6 with a turbo, which gives great power passing,  often a  necessity here.  It rides well, and is a little higher than a car, which is good in a land of SUV’s and trucks, so it provides a good view.  It handled like a dream, but I had not been saving for a car.  Since the price was more than double what the Suburban would have cost, told him I’d have to pass again. 

Then he told me that Eli had said he would accept payments from me, without interest, if I really wanted the car.  (Eli has worked with Dick and Bethel Ministries for years and tries his best to help missionaries.)  We then took the car over for Leo to see (he’s a mechanic) and he loved it.  He wasn’t sure of the price, but after checking the car ads in the daily paper, advised us to go for it, since it was priced about 15,000 quetzales (about $2000) less than anything comparable which was advertised for sale.  (Used cars are notoriously overpriced here in Guatemala.)

We went and talked to Eli, and I was amazed that he said to go ahead and take the car, and make payments when I can.  He said the car was just taking up space in the shop, and I might as well be using it while I was paying for it.  He even turned over the title to me—all of this without any paperwork.  He is taking a huge risk on me, but said since he knew I was Dick’s friend, he knew I was “good for it.”  Pretty amazing, huh?

So, we now have a seven passenger minivan.  The middle two seats are removable and leave enough space to fit in a Hope Haven wheelchair (which does not fold).  We don’t know if Fidel’s power chair will fit, but it looks like it might if we incline it.  That would be pretty amazing!

Now, all that’s left to do is pay for it.  I have made it a practice to try not to ask for special donations, but after much prayer, think this is a time to make an exception.  While Eli is not pressuring me for payments, I’d like to pay him off as quickly as possible so he doesn’t lose any money on this deal.  I also don’t like the idea of having debt, but again, this car fits our needs so perfectly that we have gone ahead.

So here’s the situation:

If 100 people could make a one time donation of $50, we can pay off the car.  Or 50 people donate $100.  Or 25 could donate. . .well, you get the idea. . .

A donation of any amount would be appreciated, and be put toward this unexpected, but welcome, expense. 

(You can make a donation on line through the Josiah Foundation website, or by mailing a check to The Josiah Foundation, 2112 S. 163rd Circle, Omaha, Nebraska, 68130).

We got quite a bit of use out of our car during Holy Week while the guys were here.  I think the guys and Mari have been more excited than I am over the car, though only she is able to drive it, since the insurance doesn’t cover anyone under 21. (I drive it, of course.)  They enjoyed cleaning it, though, as you can see from the pictures below.  Mari even helped out to make it was done up to her standards!

IMG00445-20130326-1026







IMG00443-20130326-1026







IMG00444-20130326-1026
We are grateful for any help you can give us in providing transportation for our residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment