Graduation at Santa Maria

The school year at New Life in Santa Maria de Jesús ended while I was in the States, but I through my friends, I was able to share a bit of the Clausura (closing and graduation) this year.

Kinder gradsMarlin, the kindergarten teacher, and Judy Kerschner, the founder of the school, with the kindergarten students

For the first time this year, our kindergarten students “graduated” to first grade.  They are so darling, and this was such a exciting time for them.  In the group picture, though, they look a little tired out from all the activity this day.  Many of them will be moving into a special transitional kindergarten-first grade class.  I am honored that Marisol, the Director (principal) of New Life has asked me to help them develop the curriculum for this new class.

Happy Yudi & Jennifer compressed[2]
I remember so well Yudy’s (on right) first day of school two years ago.  She was so afraid of the “gringas” (white women) that neither Judy nor I could enter her classroom without her crying or hiding behind her teacher.  She’s come a long way!

 

Graduation from 6th grade is a big achievement in an area where 3rd grade and an illiteracy rate of 44% is the norm. Many students come to us after failing in public school several years. This is why our graduates are older. A number will continue their education through high school correspondence classes, working with Profe Manuel in the afternoons.

good of grads & staff compressed[7]

Our sixth grade graduates, with Marisol, the Director of New Life, and Profe Manuel, their teacher.

I have to admit that sometimes, here in Guatemala, we measure progress a bit differently than in the US.  Below is a picture of one of my students, Joel, right after he was caught saying a naughty word in Kaqchikel (the Mayan language spoken in Santa Maria).  The good news is that, thanks to the hard work of our Speech Therapist, Jennifer Giesmann, we were able to understand what he said clearly!  I call that a win!

Joel naughty word

No comments:

Post a Comment