Time with Family

photo (38)

One of the best parts of returning to Omaha is getting to spend time with my kids, and especially my grandsons.  They are at ages now where they are growing up so fast that it seems they are each a different person on each visit.

photo (25)

My son, Jeremy, is traveling a lot for his work these days, so I was tried to help out Lin, my daughter-in-law whenever I could.  She had her wisdom teeth removed while I was home this time, and I was so glad to be there to pitch in a bit.

photo (19)

 

 

One of the reasons I pick this time of year to visit is to be here for Nate’s birthday.  This year he turned 4, and has become quite the little man.

 

 

As usual, the boys did a bit of “grandma-sitting” while I was there.

DSC06758

 

Nate driving his car.  Should I be worried that he wears a “crash helmet” when he does this?  This is one of his favorite things to do, along with calling, “Grandma, look at me!”

 

 

 

 

DSC06765

I don’t know if you can read this, but Zach, who is in second grade this year, decided I needed to take a spelling test—in English and in Spanish.  Of course, he would have to ask me how to say the words in Spanish.  I passed and even got a sticker to prove it!

 

And both are getting old enough now to go on “grandma dates.”

DSC06875

 

Nate is content to hang out wherever, and loves to go to McDonalds.

 

 

 

DSC06879

 

Zach, on the other hand, has definite preferences.  One time we went to Dave and Busters and played Ski Ball.  He beat the pants off me.

 

DSC06903

 

 

He also chose a trip to the Jocelyn Art Museum (where did this kid come from?).  Guess he really is growing up!

 

 

 

We packed in as much as we could into the short time I was in Omaha, including a trip to Nebraska City to pick apples.  (Apples are mainly imported here in Guatemala, and it was so nice to have so many varieties to choose from, at decent prices!)  I even bought some apple butter to introduce my guys to this American delicacy.

DSC06815

    DSC06819

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mikayla even managed to join us for the morning.

Since I didn’t go to Chicago this trip, my brother, Jim, came over for a weekend visit.

photo (20)

And I got in on the last of the season’s soccer games.

DSC06863

Leaving the boys was a bit harder this time.  Zach now understands how long it will be until I come back again.  He had a long talk with me, explaining all the reasons why I should not go back to Guatemala.  I tried to explain to him why I am here, but that’s quite a bit for a seven year old to understand.  I pray he will one day.

photo (35)

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully someday in the not-too-distant future, you can have a conversation with him about why he should come down.

    Seems like a great family you have there, Pat! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete