How to Keep Occupied While Visiting the US Part 3--Time with Family and Friends


My time in the US, though longer than usual, has gone all too quickly.  There are so many people I wanted to see, but time and energy did not allow me to see everyone I would have liked to.  If I did not get to spend time with you, please know it is not for lack of desire.  Each time I return to the States, I realize how richly I am blessed by those I care about and who care about me.  And each time I return to Guatemala, I feel badly for those I did not see.



The timing of my trips continues to be determined both my my need to renew my Guatemala visa and the birthdays of my grandsons.  This time it was Nate's turn to celebrate becoming five years old.  






He has grown up so much since I last saw him in April.  It has made me realize how much I miss living so far away.  










His brother, Zach, has grown up, too, but at eight, it seems he changes less than his younger brother in the time I am away.  I tried to spend as much time with the boys as I could.






I got to visit with some friends over lunch, dinner, coffee, etc.  It seems it was always over food, and I fear I have returned home with some "excess baggage" that I will have to work at to get rid of.  I realized, though, how much I really do miss spending time with English speaking friends.  I am grateful to those of you who made time to visit with me.

I had to laugh, at this help-wanted sign on a Chinese restaurant we visited,
which read "Looking for employees" in Spanish!

I was also privileged to be able to share what God is doing here with a few small groups, and meet many new friends in the process.  These small groups, and getting to share with people more personally was actually the highlight of my trip.  Thank you to those of you who so graciously hosted these gatherings.  I wish I had thought to take pictures of these groups to help me remember these special times, but they are treasured in my heart.

As our ministry grows, our need for networking grows also.  I spent a good bit of time networking with colleges and professors, to investigate ways that their students could partner with us, to gain experience in a foreign setting, as well as benefit those who we serve with their special skills.  We have made some promising connections, and I look forward to seeing what God does with these opportunities.


It sometimes seems frivolous to me, this desire to just visit.  I guess it's because if feeds my soul so well, and appears selfish.  I am greatly blessed by you, my friends in the US, and pray that my visits bless you as well.  

Until April, 2015, know I carry you in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment