Black Friday???? Giving Tuesday??? A Balanced Perspective


I am realizing this year more than ever the truth of calling this day Black.  Even in Guatemala, a land where two-thirds of all children live in poverty, the consumerism of this day has taken over.  In fact, though Guatemala does not celebrate Thanksgiving, we now have Black WEEKEND, devoting three entire days to worship at the altar of materialism. How sad I am that, along with humanitarian assistance to developing countries, we have imported the worst our culture has to offer.  The belief that materials things can make us happy, that we deserve the best, that we need to have more.


I am in the US for Thanksgiving this year, and for the first time in eight Thanksgivings am having the "pleasure" of having my senses bombarded by Black Friday advertising and the out of control desire of our culture to have "just a little bit more." Now we cannot wait until "zero dark thirty" on the Friday after Thanksgiving to begin our consumer craziness, we open the stores Thanksgiving evening to get a jump on our conspicuous consumption. It makes me sad.

And it convicts me.  I am not immune to this social disease.  While I may only be shopping at Dollar Tree, I am still overcome by what I see and how quickly I want more.  It doesn't matter that I might want it for "the ministry," these are still things which we have gotten along without just fine for the past seven plus years.  Yet, now because I know something is available, I FEEL like we can't live without it.

So what is the response of a Christ-follower to this? 

I have not known. I have struggled with a balanced attitude toward money. I have felt guilt for the relatively wealthy life-style in which we live even in Guatemala.  I have struggled with asking for donations because I hate asking others to entrust me with their money to use for our ministry. I struggle each time I make a purchase to determine if we really need what I am buying.

Then, last week,  I heard Nick Failla preach what was probably the best teaching I have ever heard on finances.  I encourage you to watch the link I am sharing below to get the full effect and benefit from the wisdom God gave him in teaching on this hot topic.

To summarize Nick poorly, I encourage you to ask yourself just one question:  Am I using the resources God has given me to advance His kingdom or build my own?  Nick's take on this may surprise you, but I know it's worth your time to watch it. Click the picture below.






No comments:

Post a Comment