I'm home. . .


It's been a little over 24 hours since I arrived in my new home in Antigua, Guatemala.  Whenever I have visited here, it's felt like home to me.  Now it actually is.  And I've never been more confident of any decision I've made than I am of the "rightness" of this move.

Spent time at Hermano Pedro today, mostly feeding the kids and just reconnecting with them.  I do miss my grandsons already, but have realized that I have about 120 new "adopted grandchildren" to fill my days.  Many of them were excited to see me. The smiles I got when I explained to them I would be able to see them often because I was now living in Antigua have made all the hassles of moving down more than worth it.

My friend Donna has traveled down with me.  This is her first time in Guatemala, and it's fun for me to re-experience all the firsts of a new country through her eyes.  I'll end tonight with a letter she wrote to some friends back in Omaha:



Hello dear friends.


Pat and I arrived in Guatemala yesterday. I expected to land in a third world country full of impoverished people and to experience heartache due to the great need of the local residents. Instead, I find myself in a beautiful country surrounded by plush land and vibrant people. I realize I haven't seen much of the country yet, but Antigua, where Pat and I are staying is so alive - - rich colors, historical landmarks, enticing aromas, joyful music and a flourish of activity. I've been taking pictures right and left because everything I see is so awe inspiring and I don't want to forget any of it.

Pat now resides with a middle-class family in Antigua. I am staying with her for the week. Mary and Leo own the home and are wonderful. They simply radiate God's love and light. Were getting the "family" treatment. Some students who are attending nearby language schools are renting rooms at the house as well. It has been fascinating to hear their personal stories. And, what a great opportunity for Pat to share the good news with them too.


This morning Pat and I walked to the orphanage and I met the disabled children for the first time. It was such a blessing to watch their faces light up when they saw Pat and hear her sweet voice. One boy kept kissing Pat's hand over and over again. I was overwhelmed with a desire to scoop them up in my arms to hug and hold them. I feel so blessed to be here with Pat and I can't wait so see what God is going to do through her. God is so good. My cup is overflowing!!!

God bless you all!
Donna

1 comment:

  1. I would so like to be there with you Donna. Miss Ya....Love, Bob

    ReplyDelete