Sunday, June 27th

We woke up this morning to a downpour!  Heavy rain, but little wind.  Am told it's courtesy of Tropical Storm Alex in the Caribbean.  Right now the path of the storm is predicted to hit Mexico and Belize, but should not affect Guatemala.  The heavy rains continue to cause problems here, however.  Today there was another mudslide in Solola, a town I've been through a number of times while traveling.  They are not sure of casualties yet.  Please continue to pray for the people of Guatemala. 

It did stop raining in time for us to walk to church at Iglesia del Camino (church of the way).  I felt at home, once again, walking into the worship there.  This time I even knew a number of people there.  Pastor Mike asked a great question in his preaching today, "What is you pain threshold in terms of you willingness ot obey God?"  In other words, how much discomfort are we willing to endure to follow where He leads?  Great sermon, but not a very comfortable one.  I think I will continue to be challenged spiritually attending this church.

On the way home we stopped to visit some ruins along the way.  San Jeronimo (St. Jerome) was a monastery which was destroyed by earthquakes.  The government has made the ruins into a park, and it's a beautiful and peaceful place for a Sunday afternoon stroll.  It was fun to share this with Donna.  I tried to imagine what it would have been like to have lived in that building with stone walls and floors.  Seems very romantic, but think I'm glad God put me in this century.

Pablo, the older of Mari and Leo's 2 youngest sons, came home from medical school to welcome me into the family today.  He's working so hard there that he has not been home since Easter when I was here.  He's a very good student (one of a few chosen to study in Houston next year), and has a very kind heart.  He'll make a great doctor some day.

After lunch we went over to Hermano Pedro for a while.  Donna is leaving tomorrow, so she took the nurses a small gift of some lotions.  They were so excited.  One of them commented that no one ever seems to appreciate what they do.  I know they don't always do things the way I wish they were done, but I believe most of them have a genuine concern for the kids, and believe their way is best.  Today they greeted me by name when I came in, another first for me! 

We spent some time today with Lily, a very bright young lady who seems to understand everything that's said, but cannot communicate except with gestures.  I tried some initial attempts at a communication system, and learned that, while she can see, her visual skills are not very accurate.  Will make some adjustments and try again tomorrow.  Later we helped feed supper to a few of the kids, and headed for home just as it started to rain again. 

It's hard to see Donna leave.  She has been so much fun and a wonderful traveling companion this last week.  I think her leaving is driving home the reality to me that I now live here.  I don't have to leave.   I really get to stay, as Mari says, forever.  I keep looking for signs of regret about this decision, but find none.  I don't think I've ever been this peaceful and content--at least not in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment