May 16, 2010

This was an incredible day.  In fact, it's taken me a few weeks to process the day enough to be able to write about it.  We celebrated the ministry God has let me do at Westside, though worship and fellowship.  I'm used to being "behind the scenes" so all this up front time was pretty overwhelming. 

During the first two worship services, Pastor Curt asked the entire congregation to pray for me, and asked those I'd served with over the years to come up and lay hands on me.  It was one of the sweetest times in my entire life to be surrounded by those who have supported me in ministry over the years.  What was even more humbling, though, were the people in the congregation who I didn't know, who came up to me to wish me well and promise their prayer. 

During the last service, there was a sending off reception.  I could not believe the number of people who waited in line just to say good-bye to me.  I was overwhelmed by the number of folks whose lives I've been allowed to touch, and who have touched mine so deeply.  I was able to see young people, who were in diapers when I cared for them, promise their prayers.  I've seen some begin an interest in missions that wasn't there before.  And, gratefully, I could remember special stories about almost each one of them. 

My kids, grandkids and daughter-in-law, Lindy, stayed through most of the reception.  Above and beyond the call of duty, since I barely got to speak with them.  It was sweet, however, to be able to look over and know they were there supporting me.  Many of you have asked how my family feels about my move.  My kids are an amazing group of young adults, who I tried to raise to be independent and have lives of their own.  Gratefully, they are now returning the favor!  Though I'm not sure they always understand why their crazy mom does what she does, they back me up wonderfully.  I've often said that the adults my children have grown into are a testimony to the grace of God.  More than ever, I believe that now!  Love you all!

As I've been looking back, I've realized just how much I've changed over the years I've been at Westside. How Westside has ministered to me even as I was allowed to serve the church.  I think I've grown more through the groups I've led than any of the participants.  It hurts my heart to give up this part of the ministry.  It's been amazing to sit by and watch as God has brought people to increasing wholeness.  It's been equally amazing how freely these folks have trusted me to walk with them into some of the most tender moments of their lives.  One of my greatest joys has been to watch those I've led grow into ministry themselves.  Curt has always told us that, as staff, our job was to "equip the saints to do the work of the ministry."  These small group leaders help me feel that I've at least partially fulfilled that charge.

I am not the same person I was nine years ago.  Through getting to see God work so clearly in the lives of his people, I've come to trust him in a way I never could before.  I've walked through times of darkness and discouragement, and seen his hand (in retrospect, of course) in each of those seasons of difficulty.  I've gotten to live in his faithfulness.  I been able to experience his mercy.  I've been part of an amazing team of godly men and women.  I still sometimes wonder how I got here, but I'm so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment