Trip to Camperos

Sonya & Veronica at the fountain

Today we met up with a team from Ohio who have been visiting Guatemala for the past few days.  Daryl Fulp, who is planning to move to Guatemala with his family as soon as they sell their house, brings down teams a couple times a year.  He is a great guy, even if he does tend to be a bit serious. The kids love him, though, despite his personality, and he is passionate in his concern and care for the kids.  We went with them to Pollo Camperos (KFC a la Guatemala) and had a blast.  I think the kids might have enjoyed themselves, too.

Learned today from Sonya and Veronica that they are quite the photographers.  They were so excited when Donna and I let them use our cameras to take pictures.  We may have to develop a photography program for the kids at Hermano Pedro.  Another young man, Bayron, who is deaf, also used my camera very effectively to communicate.  We may be on to something new here.



When we returned to Hermano Pedro, I spent the afternoon with Heidi.  She is a very somber little girl, who often spends her afternoons in her bed screaming.  Playing with her, I was able to do a simple skills assessment, and believe she is a very bright little girl trapped inside a body that doesn't do what she wants it to.  She seldom smiles, but when she does, it takes my breath away.  Pray that we can find a way to unlock the world for her!

Also met a Speech Therapist from Kentucky who brought down five ladies, including her sister who had adopted a child from Guatemala.  This was their last day, and none of them could bear to leave.  I thought when I left care ministry, I would no longer hold women while they cried, but today found out I was wrong.  Am glad I could be the arms of Jesus for them. 

After Donna and I helped feed supper to the kids, we leisurely walked home, chatting all the way.  Getting to the house was, in Donna's words, like "coming home to Mama."  Mari greets us with hugs, and immediately wants to feed us whenever we come in.  It's gonna be really embarassing when I gain weight living in a third world country!  With Mari's cooking though I think this is a real possiblilty :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment