Amazing--Dec. 8, 2010


Today was one of the best days I've ever had at Hermano Pedro.  I started out my day in malnutrition, visiting with Jessica's mom who had come to see her.  Dick, a friend of his from the States, and Pastor Juan had been up there yesterday, building new house for them on the cement slab they had poured recently.  Mom was so excited.  We chatted for quite a while as she sat and held Jessica, and I held and fed a couple of other kids up there.  Today I even got Juanita to smile!

I went downstairs after lunch and spent some time with Julio and Delmi.  Ervin was already in his bed, crying.  I wanted so much to take him out, but he's gotten too big for me to do this alone, and I knew the nurses would kill me if I got him out and they had to put him back in with the fuss he makes.

Delmi worked on feeding herself a sucker as Julio began matching line drawings with actual objects.  This was a bit tough for him, and he was feeling a little frustrated.  Help came in the form of four young people who come to the orphanage each day at lunch to help feed the kids.  (Can you picture kids choosing to spend their vacation from school doing this?)  I asked them if they'd like to work with Julio for a while, and they jumped at the chance.  I hate to admit how happy he was to have their attention and instruction.  Watching them work together brought tears to my eyes.














As I stood watching them work, Flori, my social-worker friend from Oratorio, came looking for me.  She said there were a few families at Hermano Pedro who wanted to see me.  First she took me to see Leslie's family, who had come to pick her up for the holidays.  I met her family last summer when the team from Westside Church (my home church) came down and built her a house.  Her family has been enjoying it since July, but this will be Leslie's first time experiencing it.  (I can't say "seeing" it, since Leslie is blind, but I know she will enjoy the house as much as the rest of the family--especially being able to sit on a concrete, rather than dirt, floor. )


Next, Flori took me to see Jose Antonio, and his mom and sister.  Jose had been in malnutrition for many months, and is home now.  This three year old is hardly the size of a one year old yet, but walks, talks, and takes control of most situations he's in!  It was good to see him and his mom again.



Finally, on our way back to the children's ward, Flori introduced me to one year old Luis Miguel, telling me he was a "special" child.  I could immediately see that this little one needs eye surgery, but has not been able to get it since his parents can't pay the 1100Q (roughly $140) to have the tests needed before surgery (the surgery is free).  We've started a designated medical fund, and if anyone feels led to help this little one or others with similar needs, you can make a donation to the Josiah Foundation, noting "Guatemala medical fund" on the memo line or in the memo space if making an on-line contribution.

It's really hard to walk away from someone asking for help, not immediately being able to say yes. I'm learning though that I need to be judicious in when and whom to help.  Today I was also approached by a family who had been in to the clinic, asking me for bus fare back to Coban.  I don't think I know this family, but they did look familiar to me.  I felt badly saying no to them, but really didn't have the money with me to help. . .and even if I did, it just didn't seem to be the right thing to do this time.  I also knew that somehow the Social Work Department at Hermano Pedro would help them figure things out.

I don't think it was coincidence, however, that this morning I'd been led to journal about not being able to meet every need:

When there is more than I can do, I must depend on Him to show me what really needs to be addressed. Often, this means saying “no” to someone. I’m beginning to realize, though, that often the pain of saying no is not because a need will be unmet. . .it often comes from having to accept my limits, that I cannot do everything, and I need to trust Him to show me what I am to do and also trust Him to care for those I am not able to help. I’m coming to realize that admitting I can’t meet every need is a form of humility, and an opportunity to trust in His sovereignty.
 Just yesterday, I had visited with Saul Marco's dad.  Marco was in the city having tests to see if he would qualify for surgery to correct his cleft palate.  A few months ago, we had committed to helping his family with this, and we have received the funds to do this thanks to some generous friends in Omaha.  His parents never asked for help with surgery, only for a wheel chair.  But, watching them try to feed this little one with a gaping hole in his mouth, I felt compelled to try to help them. They have neither electricity nor water in their home, but somehow have managed to provide Marcos with enough to eat to keep him growing. We don't have the test results yet, but if he qualifies, he will have surgery Jan. 7.  I need to be sure we have the funds to meet our commitment to this family before taking on any others. Please pray for a good outcome. 


By the way, I did go back and spend some time with Ervin.  We worked on using picture symbols to request food items (raisins, marshmallows and fruit snacks), and, since eating is his all time favorite activity in the whole world, I guess he forgave me for not getting to him sooner!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Pat,
    Thank you for sharing what you are doing. It is wonderful to see the faces of friends in Guatemala and keep up on their stories. God's blessings to you!

    Lida

    ReplyDelete