Birthday Parties and Christmas Parades, December 19

Don Leo, Leo Jr., and Mari
After church today, I joined the family to celebrate Leo, Jr.'s birthday.  I still feel a bit uncomfortable being included in "family only" activities, but am really beginning to see that to the Hernandez clan, I am family, even if I sometimes don't feel like it.  For me, this is proving to be a mixed blessing.  I love the acceptance and love I feel, but am having to adjust to once again being part of a family, with all that means.  I didn't realize how self-centered I'd become basically living alone.  Eating when I wanted, sleeping when I wanted, coming and going without having to consider the wishes or needs of anyone but myself.  Once again, God is rubbing some rough edges off of me!

Leo with Douglas
After our lunch at a street restaurant, which is run by a family from San Juan del Obispo and only open on Sunday, we made our way to the area where a Christmas parade was to start at 2:30.  As often happens in Guatemala, the parade finally started about 4.  It was interesting to see, and Leo's two boys were so excited to see Santa come that it was worth the wait.




Many of the "floats" advertize products













These are really young girls
who are celebrating their 15th birthday this year!






















Santa arrives riding in
an ox-cart









In Guatemala even Santa has to make way for the chicken buses!

No comments:

Post a Comment