Working Together, Dec. 7


Though many of the kids are now home, there still seems to be plenty going on at the orphanage.  Never is there a lack of kids just needing some loving.  The children's area is decorated for Christmas, tree and all.  And from what I hear, Ervin is doing his best to undecorate the tree as quickly as possible! 

Today I really have concentrated on Julio and Ervin. Julio and Ervin are learning to work together at the same table--quite a feat for two strong willed young men, both of whom would like my undivided attention.  Ervin demands it at times by his behavior; Julio just sits and gets puppy dog eyes.  But they are coming along nicely.


Though Julio can talk, it is difficult for him, and so we're working on a communication system for him as well as Ervin, who usually only says, "mama" and "mas" (more).  Once in a great while he will call me "Pat" but this does not happen consistently.  We've started out by having them use color symbols to request crayons to color shapes.  Julio is an expert at this now, but Ervin has a way to go.  He's pretty random in his requests, since he usually doesn't care what color he gets as long as it's a crayon! 



The children's area and young teen area have been combined for the vacation, and I'm getting to meet a number of young people I've only seen before.  Each one grabs at my heart!  Some reach out for attention with their hands, others only with their eyes.  Some, however, seem totally lost in themselves.  For some reason, I am continually drawn to these kids who seem so alone.  It's almost as if they've given up on trying to reach out for human contact.

Please pray for Heidi as she recovers from a broken leg.
Though she's usually in a wheelchair, now her mobility is
even more severely limited.
So, each day, I'll go and try to love on the ones God puts before me that day.  Some days, I go in with a plan, and some days, I follow the plan.  Other days, it seems there is just someone who needs more attention that the child I'd thought I would work with.  I had worried a bit that it would be "boring" with most of the children gone.  I'm finding out that the time I get to spend with each child who is here is rich with blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment