Christmas Day, Dec. 25, 2010


After a late night on Christmas Eve, the house was silent when I got up at 9 am to begin cooking Christmas dinner.  Mari would be making the turkey, and I was preparing the rest of the meal.  Since Thanksgiving dinner had been such a big hit, the family wanted a repeat of many of the dishes for Christmas.  It felt good to be cooking most of the moring--something I'd done at home for many years.


It seemed hard to believe that we had even more family here today than last night, but it was true.  Tables were placed in the garden area, wherever we could find space, and we spent over an hour eating and visiting.  Once again, pumpkin pie was the high point of the meal. (It is uncommon for Guatemalan's to bake--and they hardly ever make pie or cookies.  My limited culinary skills have become quite the topic of conversation lately!)

After dinner I was able to visit with my son, Jeremy, daughter, Mikayla, and grandson Zachary by Skype.  It was amazing to be part of their Christmas 1900 miles away throught this miracle of technology.  While I was visiting with them, my son Jon, a Marine just back from about 8 months aboard a ship in the Pacific/Indian Oceans, called, and I was able to watch as each of the kids visited with him.  (I later called him in San Diego.)  Zach also had great fun showing Grandma his Christmas presents.


Leo wanted a picture of the "Hernandez women."
What an honor to be included in this group of wonderful ladies.

I have to admit that it's been somewhat difficult, being so far away from my Omaha family for the first time this Christmas.  I will own up to a few tears being shed.  But, as I relfect on this weekend, I am so grateful for the "new" family God has given me here--both through the Hernandez family, and through a some wonderful friends.  I know I am loved and valued by the people I live with and share my days.  I know I am right where God would have me be at this minute, and pray my every move brings Him glory.   I am living in the hundredfold blessing Jesus promised to those who leave home and family for His sake. (Luke 18: 28-31) And that's all anyone can ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment