My New Home and Puppies

My house is the white one with the HUGE black doors
The beginning of March I moved into my own little "casita" just across the street from the Hernandez home where I had been living.  Mari has been having more and more large groups, and I was out-growing the one bedroom I had.  In the past, Mari's two sons have lived here, and the landlady gave us a two-year lease.  The rent is incredibly low for Antigua, since the family and the owner are friends.

Dick and his kids helped me move in.  I can't believe how quickly it went!
I love those kids. . . When I went to pay them, they told me they don't charge friends.
So I bought them lunch at Piccadilly--pizza.






My front door. . .

















The side door to the patio. . .off my bedroom





My kitchen area

The entry way and living area
I love the arches. . .
My bedroom
My office. . .one wall of the bedroom


I love the wooden ceilings and the brick. . .
I think it adds "old world" charm
Yes, inside plumbing and running water. . .
all of it cold!
The shower head has an "instant water header"
Affectionately known here as a "widow maker"
The guest room. . .ready and waiting

View from the guest room window. . .
Yes, it's right on the street. . .about 5 ft. away
from where the "chicken buses" pass by, beginning at 5 am
My own "pila" for handwashing clothes

Since the family, especially it seems the two sons, Manuel and Pablo, were afraid I'd be lonely living alone, I have adopted two dogs. (Guatemalans can't seem to imagine someone actually being content living by themselves.)  Manolo, Leo's oldest son, has a dog that had just had a litter of 12 pups, so there were plenty of little ones to choose from.  The are part Chow and part Rotweiller (I can't believe I actually have a Rotweiller, let alone two, but so far they are pretty mellow!) and look like two little bears.  Hence their names, Yogi and Booboo.

They are already too big to sleep on the end table



Yogi on left, Booboo on right

It's been a bit different living on my own, but I am finding having my own house gives me varied opportunities for ministry. . . including talking with neighbors who I had never met living in the "big" house.  Seems they thought I was just here temporarily, and now I seem committed to stay, and worth getting to know.  I'm especially enjoying the kids and will have to stock up on treats. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment